Court notice to state, centre on fixed wagesMay 5th, 2011 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, May 5 (IANS) The Gujarat High Court Thursday issued notice to the union labour ministry and the state government in a case challenging the state’s policy of paying its employees fixed monthly wages.
A bench comprising Chief Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya and Justice J.B. Pardiwala also asked the government to file its reply before the next date of hearing.
The chief justice pulled up the state government and cautioned of contempt proceedings for not complying with the state’s assurance given to the court earlier .
The judges sought to know from government pleader Prakash Jani as to why employees on fixed pay were not provided benefit of pay revision as granted to permanent employees. “Is the government ready to provide regular pay at par with permanent employees to court as well,” it questioned.
The state government had recruited Class III employees on a five-year contract on fixed payments of Rs.2,500 and Rs.3,500 per month. The court had taken the government to task for flouting minimum wage norms.
The Yogkshem Foundation for human dignity had filed a petition challenging the government policy. The issue took a new turn after the administrative wing of the Gujarat High Court raised objection over fixed wages being given to court staff in the state judiciary.
- High court upbraids Gujarat government on low employee wages - Apr 25, 2011
- Court query on Gujarat cop's testimony before riots panel - Jun 30, 2011
- Court bars Gujarat varsity registrar from holding office - Jun 22, 2011
- Court pulls up Gujarat government - Apr 04, 2011
- Court questions Gujarat on headless rights panel - Jun 22, 2011
- Gujarat panchayat workers to get same pay as government staff - Apr 14, 2011
- Gujarat court summons officials on pay hike issue - Jun 14, 2011
- Gujarat questioned on sewer workers' safety - Jun 22, 2011
- Court issues notices on plea against Essar Terminal's jetty - Jun 22, 2011
- Gujarat told to review pay of fixed-wage workers - Sep 01, 2010
- Gujarat launches scheme for juvenile delinquents' welfare - Apr 05, 2011
- Gujarat to change work profile of fast track courts - Apr 05, 2011
- Court reserves order on plea of five former ad-hoc judges - Apr 14, 2011
- Court halts sealing of illegal buildings in Ahmedabad - May 09, 2011
- Court dismisses plea of judges seeking reinstatement - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: administrative wing, bench, benefit, challenging the state, chief justice, contempt proceedings, court staff, government policy, gujarat high court, human dignity, labour ministry, minimum wage, norms, objection, petition, reply, rs 2, state government, state judiciary, wages