Court fines airline Rs.20,000 for lost baggageApril 11th, 2009 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 11 (IANS) A Delhi consumer court held an international airline guilty of deficiency in services and asked it to pay Rs.20,000 as compensation to a customer for losing his bags.
The Delhi State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission Thursday held Kuwait Airways guilty of causing mental tension and discomfort to Moti Lal Saini.
Saini, a resident of Jhunjhunu district in Rajasthan, boarded a flight to Kuwait in 2004 but was deported back due to cancellation of visa by the authorities there. On his return flight he lost his bags.
Saini had booked three bags and all were lost. On finding his luggage missing, Saini deposited his boarding pass along with the baggage tags with the airline authorities.
The airline in its defence said that Saini did not carry any baggage with him and his claim was wrong.
“The version of the airlines does not inspire confidence as no person going on a foreign visit will not be carrying any baggage or getting minimum baggage say 20 kg checked in. Mere circumstance of non-delivery of baggage itself amounts to deficiency in service and therefore, entitles the consumer additional compensation for the expected or actual loss or for the mental agony, harassment or the emotional stress suffered by him,” ruled Justice J.D. Kapoor.
- American Airlines fined for flight delay (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Consumer forum fines American Airlines for delay - Jun 22, 2011
- Lufthansa told to pay for delayed and pilfered baggage - Oct 18, 2008
- One held after small blast on Miami airport tarmac - Dec 29, 2010
- Man gets Rs.500,000 for courier firm's negligence - Jan 22, 2012
- US man arrested for carrying 30 cartridges on PIA's London-bound flight - Nov 11, 2010
- Malaysian Airlines told to pay for mishandling luggage - Jan 31, 2009
- Airline staff held for passenger's missing money - Nov 09, 2011
- Return passengers to lounge if take-off delayed: Apex court - Jul 08, 2011
- Metro starts check-in for international flyers - Feb 23, 2012
- Jordanian airlines fined Rs.500,000 for deficient service - Apr 14, 2010
- Baggage woes delay Air India passengers at T3 - Nov 12, 2010
- Diplomatic travails, airlines & odd balls on bookshelf (IANS Books this Week) - May 26, 2012
- Power cut hits London's Gatwick airport - Mar 10, 2012
- Christopher Bridgeman and Martin Borger sue airline - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: airlines, authorities, baggage tags, cancellation, circumstance, confidence, consumer disputes, court fines, delhi state, emotional stress, harassment, international airline, kuwait airways, lal, luggage, mental agony, mental tension, New Delhi, return flight, saini