Court asks Citibank to compensate for harassmentJune 2nd, 2009 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) Ticking off Citibank for “unfair trade practice”, the Delhi State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission has directed it to pay Rs.50,000 compensation to a Citibank credit card holder for harassment and agony.
Justice J.D. Kapoor said that despite no proof of any transaction on his credit card, the bank regularly harassed the consumer and sent huge bills and also included his name in the defaulter’s list.
Holding that including the consumer’s name in the defaulter’s list “is unfair trade practice”, the court said: “It is defamatory as the bank has no business to take its disputes to other banks and tell them that he is a defaulter and don’t give him loan.”
The court also issued instructions to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and other banks not to reject loan to the consumer on these grounds.
The case pertains to a consumer Bijay Kumar Dash, who was lured by the Citibank agents to get a credit card made. Though there was no transaction on his credit card, the bank billed him for Rs.27,000 as membership fee for a club.
Thereafter, the bank kept sending hefty bills along with the accumulated interest and eventually Rs.1,30,000 was billed to him.
Dash reached a settlement amount and paid the money. However, the bank put his name in the defaulter’s list and sent messages to other banks to blacklist him for sanctioning loans.
- Man arrested for credit card fraud - Oct 24, 2010
- Credit card number falls as banks get cautious - Nov 17, 2011
- SKS Microfinance trims loan book by another Rs.354 crore - Feb 27, 2012
- Citibank sues Ground Zero developer over failure to repay $ 100,000 debt - Dec 03, 2010
- Chinese own 2.95 bn bank cards - Mar 19, 2012
- Credit Information Bureau to target insurance, telecom firms - Aug 03, 2011
- RBI permits PayPal exporters $3,000 per transaction - Oct 15, 2011
- Six men held for cheating on pretext of giving loans - Nov 18, 2011
- Schools, colleges not barred from sending bulk messages - Mar 08, 2011
- Handloom weavers to get credit card, interest subsidy - Nov 19, 2011
- Court directs PNB to return Rs.1,000 crore securities to DLF - May 29, 2011
- Mamata relaunches credit scheme for farmers - Aug 18, 2011
- Saudi hackers leak credit card information of thousands of Israelis - Jan 04, 2012
- Allocation for agriculture up 18 percent - Mar 16, 2012
- Now, 'Ground Zero' mosque developer sued by bank over unpaid loan - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: agony, bank of india, banks, citibank credit card, consumer disputes, credit card holder, defaulter, delhi state, harassment, loans, membership fee, money, New Delhi, proof, rbi, reserve bank of india, unfair trade practice