Court allows hawkers to operate in Nehru PlaceApril 17th, 2009 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday allowed as many as 67 hawkers, who were displaced by a beautification plan of the Delhi Development Authority (DDA), to operate from a commercial complex in south Delhi’s Nehru Place area.
The bench of the court was hearing a petition filed by an NGO called Manushi Sangathan alleging that the DDA and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) were harassing the hawkers at the District Centre in Nehru Place and depriving them of their livelihood.
The DDA had planned a development project for the District Centre and asked the hawkers operating there to vacate the area in May 2006 as part of their plan.
Pronouncing the judgement, a Division Bench of Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice Sanjiv Khanna said: “There was no need for such haste and hurry on the part of DDA.”
The bench said the hawkers have every right to pursue their occupation as long as they do not create nuisance or inconvenience to the public.
However, the Bench directed DDA to go ahead with the project for development of the commercial complex and said: “DDA is directed to continue with the pilot project. Sixty-seven hawkers will be permitted to hawk in the area which was demarcated by DDA prior to their removal on April 19, 2008″.
- Complete Rohini plot demarcation by Oct 30, court tells DDA - Sep 23, 2011
- Court pulls up DDA over delay in allotting plots (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Delhi High Court stays MCD circular on cycle rickshaws - Mar 02, 2012
- Give Rohini plots to blast victims on priority: Court (Lead) - Sep 14, 2011
- Court asks Delhi civic agencies to relocate pigs - Jan 07, 2010
- Court tells DDA to allot house plots in Rohini - Mar 14, 2012
- Rehabilitate students of demolished school: Court (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Refund flat booking amount to widow, court tells DDA - Jan 20, 2011
- Zipping through flyovers, Metro: Delhi reaps CWG legacy (Year after CWG) - Sep 30, 2011
- Notice to Delhi, central governments on unauthorised colonies - Feb 17, 2012
- Rohini plots to be allotted by 2013, DDA tells court (Lead) - Sep 13, 2011
- Delhi High Court directs DDA to take encroached land back - May 02, 2012
- Nehru Place shuts down to demand basic amenities - Feb 01, 2012
- Give licences to food vans, court tells MCD - Mar 22, 2012
- Give permanent shelter to homeless near Jama Masjid: Court - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: ajit, beautification plan, chief justice, commercial complex, delhi development authority, delhi high court, division bench, haste, hawkers, inconvenience, judgement, livelihood, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, nehru place, nuisance, pilot project, prakash shah, sanjiv, south delhi