Cotton farmers protest against proposed bailout packageNovember 23rd, 2011 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Nov 23 (IANS) Terming as peanuts the proposed bailout package for cotton farmers in Maharashtra’s Vidarbha region, over 2,000 farmers blocked a state highway Wednesday as part of a seven-day-old agitation.
The Chandrapur-Yavatmal highway was blocked by protesters near Rampur village, 120 km from here.
The agitating farmers demanded Rs.6,000 per quintal as the minimum support price for raw cotton as against the market price of Rs.4,000 per quintal.
“This is the seventh day in a row that farmers are protesting at several places across Vidarbha. The demand is being supported by all the political parties, including the ruling Congress and the NCP (Nationalist Congress Party), but the state government is unmoved,” said Kishor Tiwari of Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti, a farmers’ advocacy group.
Tiwari met Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Sunday to apprise him of the hardships faced by farmers in Vidarbha due to crop damage.
“I have suggested that a subsidy of Rs.20,000 per hectare for cotton and Rs.15,000 per hectare for soya be paid to farmers to compensate for the 40 percent loss of crop this year,” Tiwari said.
“But I am sceptical about any package. I am told the bureaucrats are asking the chief minister to announce a paltry relief. This will be too little, too late and only fuel the farmer suicide crisis in Vidarbha,” he warned.
Hundreds of Vidarbha farm widows are likely to start a hunger strike Thursday.
An all-party meeting convened by Chavan on the issue remained inconclusive. Chavan also met representatives of farmer organisations and assured them of appropriate steps.
The Congress has sought a separate financial package for the farmers while pursuing the demand for an increase in the minimum support price for cotton with the central government.
- Vidharba farmers protest Chavan's 'peanuts' bailout package - Dec 15, 2011
- Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 02, 2011
- Cotton farmers' stir intensifies in Maharashtra - Nov 16, 2011
- Cotton farmers' stir continues in Maharashtra - Nov 17, 2011
- Seven more Vidarbha farmers commit suicide in last 48 hours - Sep 08, 2011
- Three Vidarbha farmers end life - Apr 20, 2012
- Debt drives three more Vidarbha farmers to suicide (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Vidharba shutdown Thursday for farmers'demands - Dec 14, 2011
- Lift cotton export ban, demand Vidarbha farmers - Feb 27, 2011
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Maharashtra cotton farmers oppose new tax - Mar 31, 2012
- Farmers threaten to 'donate' govt aid to Maoists! - Dec 18, 2011
- Cotton farmers demand lifting ban on exports - May 02, 2011
- BJP MP arrested for road blockade in Maharashtra - Nov 28, 2011
- Maharashtra cotton farmers to meet Sonia on export ban - May 15, 2011
Tags: advocacy group, andolan, bailout package, bureaucrats, central government, chavan, chief minister, cotton farmers, crop damage, farmer organisations, hectare, hunger strike, nationalist congress party, ncp, quintal, raw cotton, rs 6, suicide crisis, vidarbha region, widows