Corporate security experts warn against job-related stressNovember 22nd, 2011 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 22 (IANS) Describing job-related stress as an emerging threat to industrial security, experts Tuesday said there was an immediate need for educating people about stress management.
“Job-related stress or pressure is on the rise and is taking a toll on industrial security. Unable to cope with it, some resort to suicide while the efficiency of others is reduced drastically, which jeopardises not only their own but also the security of others at workplaces,” said Tata Steel’s corporate security chief O.B. Krishna.
Krishna, who was speaking at the ‘Safety Symposium and Exposition’ organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) here, said employees at all levels must be taught various stress management techniques.
A memorandum of understanding was also signed between the CII and the Jadavpur University for safety management courses.
Emphasising on the need for behavioural safety, Coal India Ltd. chairman N.C. Jha said: “In industrial mishaps, whether big or small, invariably trivial mistakes owing to casual approach to work turn out to be the chief cause.”
“Often people tend to neglect minute details about safety which gradually take shape of a major disaster. Therefore, it is essential that steps are taken to ensure behavioural safety.”
CII deputy chairman (eastern region) R.K. Agrawal said: “The university will be providing infrastructure to educate employees, especially of small and micro enterprises, about safety management. The courses are likely to begin by the year-end.”
- Indian management students prefer public sector jobs: Study - Jul 16, 2012
- Focus on strong education, industry training, says India Inc. - Jun 30, 2011
- Manufacturing policy is designed to create jobs: CII - Nov 13, 2011
- 'Pehal' initiatve aims to uplift the underprivileged - Jul 27, 2012
- Fruits of growing Indian economy not being enjoyed by all: Mukherjee - Apr 08, 2011
- CII Kerala to play proactive role in state's growth - May 04, 2012
- 'Give better wages and social security to contract labour' - Aug 29, 2010
- Stop politicising FDI in retail, look for bigger benefits: CII - Nov 28, 2011
- Bengal should impose 'green cess' on electricity: Expert - Nov 21, 2011
- Set aside petty politics on FDI in retail, urges India Inc (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2011
- Muthuraman elected new CII president - Apr 11, 2011
- Adi Godrej is new CII president - Apr 18, 2012
- Insomnia on the rise among IT engineers: Study - Nov 27, 2010
- Indian healthcare industry poised for rapid growth - Aug 05, 2011
- CII to set up leadership institute in Tamil Nadu - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: agrawal, casual approach, chief cause, cii, coal india ltd, confederation of indian industry, deputy chairman, industrial security, jadavpur university, krishna krishna, major disaster, management courses, management job, memorandum of understanding, micro enterprises, minute details, safety management, safety symposium, stress management techniques, tata steel