Coriander is Britain’s best-selling herbApril 23rd, 2008 - 1:44 pm ICT by admin
London, Apr 23 (ANI): Britons love for spicy aromatic Asian dishes has got them hooked to green leafy coriander, which according to a new survey, has now become the undisputed king of the kitchen as the best-selling herb in the country.
The herb, which is scattered on curries, baked in breads and simmered in soups, accounts for a quarter of all fresh herb sales, despite having only been grown commercially in Britain since the 1970s.
Basil comes in second with 19 per cent. This is followed by old favourite parsley, both flat-leaved and curly varieties.
The country’s top ten herb chart was compiled by Fresh Herbs, an organisation representing British herb growers.
Parsley accounts for only 10 per cent of sales and basil 19 per cent.
The popularity of coriander is being driven by our love of curry and Asian food, the Telegraph quoted a spokesman for Fresh Herbs, as saying.
“People have developed a taste for spicy aromatic dishes and are experimenting now more than ever with different fresh herbs varieties, the rep added. (ANI)
- Poor man's 'dhaniya' conquers British palates - May 04, 2008
- Feast on yam leaf, jungle asparagus when in Himachal (Feature with images) - Jun 08, 2011
- Chubritza to lokum, delightfully Turkish - in Kolkata! (Eating Out With IANS) - Jun 12, 2011
- Indian Christmas with desi fusion fare - Dec 23, 2011
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Dos and Don'ts during monsoon (To go with - With Monsoon health guide: Rainproof your lifestyle with right diet) - Jul 16, 2012
- Yummy Kannada cuisine at Dakshin food fest - Nov 02, 2009
- Recession sends Indian ready-meals, spice sales soaring in Britain - Nov 04, 2008
- A window to Nigerian delicacies in Indian capital (With Images) - Aug 05, 2011
- Chef's Choice (To go with Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens) - Mar 23, 2012
- Coriander, turmeric key to reducing greenhouse gas emissions - Jul 06, 2010
- Chomping on cheese and chilli delights in Bhutan - Apr 29, 2011
- Chefs at Paprika fishing for compliments (Eating Out With IANS) - Oct 28, 2010
- Veggie chicken tikka potato chips! New flavours beckon - Jun 21, 2012
- Coriander-fortified bread is long-lasting and nutritious: Kolkata research - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: 1970s, asian dishes, asian food, basil, breads, britons, coriander, curries, curry, fresh herbs, herb growers, herb london, herb sales, new survey, parsley, popularity, soups, spokesman, telegraph, undisputed king