Core industries growth falls to 2.2 percent in AprilMay 31st, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) Growth in eight core industries fell to 2.2 percent in April as compared to 4.2 percent registered during the corresponding month of previous year, due to drop in the output of oil, gas, fertiliser and petroleum refinery products, official data showed Thursday.
During the financial year 2011-12, the cumulative growth rate of the core industries was 4.4 percent as against their growth at 6.6 percent in 2010-11.
The eight core industries — crude oil, petroleum refinery products, natural gas, fertilisers, coal, electricity, cement and finished steel — had registered a growth of 2 percent in March.
Output of natural gas fell by 11.3 percent, crude oil production declined by 1.3 percent, fertiliser output dropped by 9.3 percent and Petroleum refinery production dipped by 2.8 percent in April 2012, according to data released by the ministry of commerce and industry here.
Electricity generation, which has 10.32 percent weight in the Index of Industrial Production, registered a slower growth of 4.6 percent in April 2012 as compared to 6.4 percent in the same month of last year. Electricity sector registered a growth of 8.1 percent in 2011-12 as compared to 5.6 percent in the previous fiscal.
Cement production grew by 8.6 percent, steel output increased by 5.8 percent and coal production increased by 3.8 percent in the month under review.
- Core industries' growth rises by 6.8 percent - Mar 29, 2012
- Core industries growth slumps to 0.5 percent in January - Feb 28, 2012
- Core industries growth rebounds to 6.8 percent - Dec 26, 2011
- Core industries growth falls to 3.1 percent in December - Jan 30, 2012
- Core industries' growth slumps to 2 percent in March - Apr 30, 2012
- Eight core industries grow 7.8 percent in July - Aug 30, 2011
- Six core industries grew at a slow 5.2 percent in April - Jun 01, 2011
- India's core industry growth slumps to 3.5 percent in August - Sep 27, 2011
- Core industries post 3.8 percent growth in May - Jun 29, 2012
- Infrastructure output up 5.1 percent in April - May 28, 2010
- Six core industries grew 6.6 percent in December - Jan 31, 2011
- Slower growth in six core industries in February - Mar 26, 2010
- Six core sectors grew by 9.4 percent in January - Feb 25, 2010
- Six core sectors grow 6 percent in December - Jan 22, 2010
- Assam refinery to explore potential markets in neighbouring countries - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: cement production, coal production, core industries, crude oil production, cumulative growth, electricity generation, electricity sector, fertiliser, finished steel, ministry of commerce, natural gas, New Delhi, oil gas, petroleum refinery, previous year, refinery production, refinery products, steel output