Contempt notice issued to Air India pilots (Second Lead)May 23rd, 2012 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued a contempt notice to 67 striking Air India pilots and the Indian Pilots Guild (IPG) for not complying with its order not to continue the “illegal strike”.
Justice Reva Khetrapal listed the matter for next hearing July 13.
Among the 68 respondents, notices were also issued to IPG president Jitender Ahwad, vice president Jamshed Menon, general secretary E. Kapadia.
Air India moved a contempt petition in the court against the striking pilots for disobeying its earlier order.
The court had May 9 restrained over 100 pilots, owing allegiance to IPG, an association of Air India pilots, from continuing the strike over the rescheduling of Boeing 787 Dreamliner training and matters relating to their career progression.
During the hearing, the court noted that the strike was causing a “huge loss to the exchequer”.
Expressing its displeasure for not complying with the court order to discontinue the strike, the court said: “I still feel that better sense will prevail on the pilots.”
“Nobody is concerned with the plight of the passengers,” the court added.
Meanwhile, advocate Lalit Bhasin, appearing for Air India, also told the court that IPG had released a statement Wednesday indicating it would continue the strike.
On May 17, a division bench of the Delhi High Court dismissed the IPG plea that challenged the court’s order restraining the pilots from going on an “illegal strike”.
Coming down heavily on the pilots, the division bench had said they could not “wilfully and flagrantly” disobey its orders to end their “illegal” strike and may face action for contempt of court.
- Air India moves court against striking pilots - May 23, 2012
- Notice issued to centre, Air India on pilots' plea - Jun 25, 2012
- Court declines plea of Air India pilots (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Contempt notice issued to striking Air India pilots (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- High court reserves order on Air India pilots - May 16, 2012
- Air India pilots say studying court order - May 23, 2012
- Pilots union moves court against restraint order on stir - May 15, 2012
- Court restrains Air India pilots' illegal strike (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Talk, settle dispute: Court to Air India, striking pilots (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Court declines plea of Air India pilots - May 17, 2012
- Air India losses mount to Rs.200 crore as crisis continues - May 18, 2012
- Ajit Singh calls Air India unions for talks (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Take back sacked pilots and we will end strike: Air India union (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Air India moves apex court against pilots - May 10, 2012
- Ready to reinstate sacked pilots on case-by-case basis: Ajit Singh (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
Tags: air india, better sense, bhasin, boeing 787 dreamliner, career progression, contempt notice, contempt of court, contempt petition, court noted that, delhi high court, displeasure, division bench, illegal strike, ipg, kapadia, menon, owing allegiance, rescheduling, reva, striking pilots