Consumers to pay more for power in BiharJune 1st, 2011 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 1 (IANS) The Bihar Electricity Regulatory Commission (BERC) has approved the proposed hike in power tariff in the state, officials Wednesday said.
“The commission has reportedly approved to hike the power tariff by 15 to 20 per cent in the state, ” officials in the Bihar State Electricity Board (BSEB) said.
Contrary to the BSEB proposal for massive hike of power tariff, the BERC has approved a small increase which will be effective from this month itself, they said. The BSEB had submitted its proposals for a revised tariff to the BERC last February.
According to sources, the BSEB incurs a loss of Rs.1,417.23 crore annually. Of the Rs.10,000 crore it has to recover from consumers, an amount of Rs.7,000 crore is owed by government departments.
With the mercury soaring and scarcity of drinking water reported from across the state, outages in electricity supply have added to people’s difficulties. In the last one month alone, people in over a dozen towns in Bihar have held angry demonstrations against power woes.
While Bihar has a daily requirement of 2,200-2,500 MW, it generates hardly 45-50 MW of power. The central government supplies around 850 to 1050 MW and the state is facing a power deficit of about 1,000-1,200 MW a day, officials said.
- Hundreds protest power cuts in Bihar - Apr 15, 2011
- Coming up in Bihar, thermal, biomass power plants - Apr 14, 2011
- Violent protests against Bihar power cuts - Apr 22, 2011
- Fines waived to help big firms, alleges Bihar opposition - May 05, 2011
- Bihar reels under power outages, summer heat - Mar 26, 2011
- Bihar seeks 5,000 transformers - Feb 22, 2012
- Bihar town erupts into protests over power shortage - Apr 23, 2011
- Power shortage sparks protests in Bihar - Apr 28, 2011
- Bihar reels under power outages, summer heat (Lead) - Mar 26, 2011
- Reaching out to Bihar's Mahadalits - by radio - Apr 16, 2011
- Millions suffer in power-starved Bihar - Apr 13, 2010
- No electricity, no vote: Nitish Kumar - Aug 15, 2012
- CESC net up 137 percent in Q4 backed by tariff hike - May 08, 2012
- Summer multiplies woes of power-starved Bihar - May 11, 2012
- Acute power shortage sparks protests in Bihar - Apr 23, 2010
Tags: angry demonstrations, berc, bihar state electricity board, bseb, central government, crore, drinking water, electricity regulatory commission, electricity supply, government departments, government supplies, mercury, patna, power tariff, power woes, proposals, rs 1, scarcity, state electricity board, state officials