Constitute pay commission within three months: Himachal courtDecember 29th, 2011 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Dec 29 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh High Court Thursday directed the state government to constitute an independent pay commission, within three months, to fix pay scales of the government employees.
A bench of Chief Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice D.D. Sud expressed surprise that the state has no pay commission of its own.
“It’s now more than 40 years since the state of Himachal was formed. We are informed that there has not been a pay commission as far as Himachal is concerned,” they observed.
Hearing a bunch of petitions of government employee associations, the bench directed the chief secretary to take steps to have an independent pay commission and listed the matter for next hearing March 21, 2012.
Earlier, the state’s principal secretary (finance), in an affidavit, said the state “by and large follows the Punjab government pay scales but it’s not done blindly and the government of Himachal Pradesh in any particular case may or may not implement a particular pay scale”.
“Himachal is an independent state and only its orders are applicable on its employees. No one can claim a pay scale on the basis of orders issued by the Punjab government,” the affidavit said.
The court observed the state should have a pay commission so that the pay scales are appropriately fixed or rationalised.
The total expenditure in the state’s budget for 2011-12 has been pegged at Rs.16,708.47 crore with salaries accounting for Rs.5,881.66 crore, interest payments Rs.2,150.58 crore, loan repayments Rs.960.84 crore and pensions Rs.2,210 crore.
During budget speech, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said that out of the total budget, only 32.95 per cent would be utilised for development activities, the rest would go towards meeting the liabilities committed on account of salaries, pensions, interests and loans.
- Himachal budget March 19 - Feb 13, 2012
- Each Himachal citizen now carries Rs.3.7 crore debt - Aug 31, 2011
- Himachal not in favour of pay commission - Mar 25, 2012
- Another pre-poll sop for over 300,000 'babus' (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Dhumal in please-all mode in election year (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 03, 2012
- Himachal offers sops to employees - Jun 18, 2012
- Dhumal presents Rs.16,708.47 crore budget (With image) - Mar 09, 2011
- BJP tries to mop up votes with sops (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Dhumal government woos its babus with eye on polls (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2012
- Himachal's loan liability is Rs.26,651 crore - Aug 29, 2012
- Himachal seeks Rs.3,000 crore assistance - Aug 24, 2010
- Check taxis, trucks running illegally, court tells Himachal - Mar 05, 2012
- Himachal legislators to get fat salary hike - Apr 05, 2012
- Dhumal announces sops on I-Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Himachal debt rises to Rs.25,313.70 crore - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: affidavit, budget speech, chief justice, chief minister, chief secretary, crore, employee associations, government employee, government employees, government of himachal pradesh, government pay scales, independent state, interest payments, kurian, loan repayments, pay scale, petitions, principal secretary, punjab government, secretary finance