Consortium to build Colombia’s largest damAugust 30th, 2012 - 11:49 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Aug 30 (IANS/EFE) A consortium made up of Brazil’s Camargo Correa S.A. and Colombian firms Constructora Conconcreto S.A. and Coninsa Ramon H. S.A. has been awarded a contract to build what will be Colombia’s largest hydroelectric dam, officials said.
The contract - awarded Tuesday by utility group Empresas Publicas de Medellin, or EPM - covers construction of the 2,400 MW Ituango Hydroelectric Project, which is scheduled to come online in 2018.
The CCC consortium will construct the dam and the building hosting the generating units and carry out other engineering works associated with the project, the most important in Colombia’s electricity sector, an EPM official said.
The Ituango facility, to be built at a total cost of $5.5 billion, will be a 220-meter-high rock-filled embankment dam with a reservoir capacity of 16 million cubic meters.
Firms from Brazil, Colombia, Spain and Italy participated in the bid process, which was opened last October.
Camargo Correa S.A. holds a 55 percent stake in the CCC consortium, while Constructora Conconcreto S.A. and Coninsa Ramon H. S.A. have 35 percent and 10 percent interests, respectively.
- Strike halts work on mega-dam in Brazil - Apr 24, 2012
- Brazil to build 10 hydro power plants in 2010 - Sep 19, 2010
- Ecuador signs deals to boost oil output - Feb 02, 2012
- Ecopetrol makes new oil find in Colombia - Dec 15, 2010
- Ecuador may export electricity to Colombia, Venezuela - Feb 19, 2010
- Colombian oil company to invest $8.48 bn in 2012 - Nov 23, 2011
- Brazil privatises three airports - Feb 07, 2012
- Five die in Brazil when elevator crashes - Apr 22, 2012
- BP sells operation in Colombia - Aug 04, 2010
- Brazilian oil giant makes new deep-water find - Jul 13, 2012
- Five Colombian cops die in plane crash - Jul 29, 2011
- Ecuador expects China to fully finance refinery - Apr 23, 2012
- Over 100 workers taken hostage in Brazil - Jul 26, 2010
- Brazil pledges $113 mn to fight climate change - Aug 20, 2010
- Brazilian court suspends massive Amazon dam construction - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: bogota, brazil, camargo correa, ccc, colombia, conconcreto, consortium, cubic meters, electricity sector, embankment dam, empresas publicas de medellin, epm, hydroelectric dam, hydroelectric project, italy, percent stake, reservoir capacity, spain, utility group