Computer sales up 7 percent in January-March quarterJune 12th, 2009 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) Personal computer (PC) sales in India were up 7 percent in the first three months of this year over the last quarter of 2008 but were still about 19 percent less compared to the year-ago period, according to an IT media house report.
“A total of 16,79,000 units of client PCs (desktops and notebooks) were shipped during the January-March quarter of 2009,” said a report from IDC India, a subsidiary of CyberMedia, a leading IT publication.
According to the IDC report, in spite of the overall subdued market, the total installed base of PCs in India surged past the 36-million units mark.
“Moving forward, hardware in general and PC shipments in particular will continue to remain under pressure,” said IDC India country manager Kapil Dev Singh.
Desktop PC shipments of 1,213,000 units registered a sequential growth of 9 percent (quarter-on-quarter), while notebook PC shipments of 466,000 units recorded a growth of 3 percent.
Of the top five PC vendors, the leading player Hewlett-Packard increased its market share from 15.6 percent in the fourth quarter of 2008 to 18.2 percent in the first quarter of 2009.
Dell and Lenovo faced a tough first quarter, with sales dipping considerably during the period under review.
Dell’s market share dipped from 11 percent to 9.7 percent, while Lenovo’s slipped from 6.6 percent to 4.7 percent.
- Personal computer market grows 26 percent - Feb 17, 2011
- India's PC market declines - Feb 15, 2012
- Inflation affected PC sales in Q1 of 2012 in India: Gartner - May 25, 2012
- Lenovo pips Dell to become world's second largest PC maker - Oct 13, 2011
- HP to exit PC business - Aug 19, 2011
- India's computer sales up 33 percent in first quarter - May 23, 2010
- India's PC market grew 17 percent in Q2 of 2012 - Aug 28, 2012
- Computer sales in India up 24 percent in July-September quarter - Nov 26, 2009
- Personal Computer sales grow 2.5 percent in April-June - Aug 17, 2011
- Over two million personal computers shipped in third quarter - Dec 25, 2008
- Lenovo unveils 12 new products, sees double-digit market share - Jun 23, 2010
- Computer monitor sales up 17 percent - Nov 29, 2011
- Intel looking for channel partners for all-in-one computers - Jul 18, 2012
- HP eyes 21.5 percent market share in consumer notebook segment - Jun 20, 2012
- HP plans to cut 2,000 more jobs - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: client pcs, computer sales, desktop pc, dev singh, first quarter, first three months, fourth quarter, india country, installed base, last quarter, lenovo, market share, New Delhi, notebook pc, pc shipments, pc vendors, personal computer pc, s market, sequential growth, spite