Competition panel launches fresh enquiry against GoogleJuly 9th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) The Competition Commission of India has launched an enquiry against the search engine Google for abuse of dominant position and anti-competitive practices.
The competition watchdog has launched the enquiry on a complaint filed by consumer rights body CUTS International.
CUTS International said in a statement Monday that its complaint against Google followed global actions against the search engine giant for its abusive practices.
CUTS International had filed the complaint last month saying Google was abusing its dominant position in the Indian market by indulging in anti-competitive practices in various ways.
The consumer advocacy group has complained that Google was imposing unfair and discriminatory conditions on customers and manipulating algorithmic as well as paid search results by penalising certain websites and advertisers.
The Competition Commission of India is already investigating another complaint against Google by Bharat Matrimony.com. The complaint is about discriminatory practices related to Bharat Matrimony’s AdWords programme.
- EU launches probe into complaints Google abused dominant position - Dec 01, 2010
- Will rivals do to Google what Facebook did to MySpace? - Jul 19, 2011
- Rs.6,000 crore penalty on 11 cement firms for price fixing (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Professional course on competition policy launched - Jan 29, 2011
- 'More stringent laws against cartelisation needed' - Feb 14, 2012
- Competition panel levies Rs.6,000 crore penalty on cement firms - Jun 21, 2012
- Brussels confirms anti-trust complaints about Google - Feb 24, 2010
- Filter content or face blackout, court warns Facebook, Google (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- U.S. orders Google to fulfill requirements before acquisition of ITA Software - Apr 09, 2011
- EU slaps record $1.45-billion fine on Intel (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Competition check for FDI in pharma will help consumers: CUTS - Oct 11, 2011
- 'Merger regulations needed to protect consumers' - Apr 14, 2011
- Govt. committed to bring fair merger, acquisition regime for economic growth: Deora - Apr 21, 2011
- Shree Cement penalized Rs.397.51 crore for monopolistic practices - Jul 30, 2012
- Consumer court pulls up Lufthansa, orders fine - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,