Colombian oil firm to export 12 mn barrels to IndiaAugust 16th, 2012 - 11:26 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Aug 16 (IANS/EFE) Colombian oil firm Ecopetrol will supply 12 million barrels of crude to a private Indian refining company under a year-long contract worth approximately $1.2 billion, the Bogota-based company said Wednesday.
“This export contract offers Ecopetrol advantages because it ensures a systematic sale of crude at a pre-arranged price,” the company said, noting that the accord bolsters its “business strategy of supplying crude to end users”.
It also said the direct delivery of crude to buyers gives Ecopetrol “greater control over the crude’s final destination” and “logistical flexibility”.
Ecopetrol did not identify the Indian customer but said a first shipment of crude had already left the Caribbean port of Covenas.
The first 2 million barrels were shipped in “one of the world’s most modern tank vessels in the VLCC (Very Large Crude Carrier) category,” Ecopetrol said, adding that the ship will arrive in India in 35 days.
The state-run firm said its exports in the first half of 2012 were valued at 17.6 trillion pesos ($9.77 billion), up 23.3 percent from the same period of 2011.
Ecopetrol, Latin America’s fourth-largest oil company, has operations in Colombia, Brazil, Peru and the US Gulf of Mexico.
- Colombian firm makes oil find - Aug 17, 2012
- Colombian oil company to invest $8.48 bn in 2012 - Nov 23, 2011
- Colombian firm makes new oil find - Apr 26, 2012
- Colombia to deploy 5,000 soldiers to protect pipeline - Jul 12, 2012
- Colombian regulator approves BP asset sell-off - Dec 23, 2010
- Ecopetrol makes new oil find in Colombia - Dec 15, 2010
- BP sells operation in Colombia - Aug 04, 2010
- Ecuador to deliver $538 mn worth of oil to China - Dec 10, 2011
- Colombia has record oil output in February - Mar 10, 2011
- Mexico makes large offshore oil find - Aug 30, 2012
- US trade deficit falls amid drop in imports, exports - Apr 13, 2011
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Ecuador signs deals to boost oil output - Feb 02, 2012
- Mexican oil firm ends 2011 with net loss of $6.5 bn - Mar 01, 2012
- Ecuador wants to hike oil output - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: bogota, business strategy, colombia, colombian oil, contract worth, crude carrier, ecopetrol, efe, export contract, final destination, flexibility, gulf of mexico, latin america, oil company, oil firm, peru, refining company, tank vessels, trillion, vlcc