Cockroach in food in Duronto, passengers protestJuly 19th, 2010 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 18 (IANS) Passengers of the Mumbai-Howrah Duronto Express Sunday night staged protests at the Howrah station here after the discovery of a cockroach in a meal supplied on the train.
The passengers alleged that while the cockroach was found in the rice, several other food items given for lunch Sunday were either stale or of poor quality.
Some of the agitators alleged that 15 passengers were taken ill by consuming the food.
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) admitted the discovery of an “insect” in rice.
“The food was packed and loaded in the train during its operational stoppage at Bilaspur. After we served them food, one of the passengers complained of having found an insect in his rice,” IRCTC Group General Manager, East Zone, Amlan Biswas told IANS.
“In such situations, we change the food. But the passenger did not ask for a change. Instead, he clicked a photo of the insect in the rice and mailed it to television channels,” he added.
He alleged that some passengers later started creating a ruckus when one of their fellow passengers had a heart attack near Kharagpur.
“They linked the heart attack case to what they called serving of stale food. But in reality, there is no relation between the two.”
Biswas also denied that 15 passengers had taken ill, saying “none of them went to the doctors at the station for treatment when the train arrived at the Howrah station at 7.40 p.m. All of them went home.”
- Railways promoting special tour packages - Nov 20, 2010
- Train schedule goes haywire after derailment - May 28, 2010
- Another possible train sabotage by Maoists foiled - Jun 10, 2010
- Night passenger trains suspended - Jul 04, 2010
- 12 run over by train in Chhattisgarh - Oct 23, 2011
- Close shave for Duronto Express passengers - Jun 25, 2010
- Nangal-Howrah train service to start Saturday - Oct 15, 2010
- Train hits road roller, derails; passengers safe - Feb 27, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee's largesse for Maharashtra - Feb 25, 2011
- Make trains rat-free, Congress leader requests Mamata - May 07, 2011
- Mumbai-Howrah route traffic resumes after train accident - Oct 23, 2011
- Cockroach essential to earth's delicate ccoystem - Jun 24, 2012
- Two killed after being hit by train - Sep 25, 2010
- 20 Ernakulam Duronto express passengers suffer food poisoning - May 17, 2010
- Train services disrupted after 'Maoist posters' seen on track - Jul 23, 2010
Tags: agitators, amlan, bilaspur, biswas, cockroach, east zone, fellow passengers, food items, group general, heart attack, howrah station, indian railway, insect, kharagpur, mumbai, poor quality, ruckus, stoppage, television channels, tourism corporation