Cochin Port to have Vessel Traffic Management System soonDecember 22nd, 2007 - 1:28 pm ICT by admin
By Juhan Samuel
Kochi, Dec 22 (ANI): The Cochin Port Trust has entered into an agreement with Ireland-based Transas Limited for the commissioning of a vessel traffic management system at the port.
The project is being implemented on a turnkey basis and will be commissioned by November 2008.
As part of the Cochin Ports ongoing strategy to modernize its infrastructure to support upcoming facilities like the International Container Transshipment Terminal, the LNG Terminal, the Single Buoy Mooring of BPCL-KR and the Cruise Terminal etc., the Cochin Port Trust authorities have decided to install vessel traffic management system to ensure total navigational safety.
The installation of the VTMS facility will enable the port to monitor vessel traffic movement in the entire harbor and detect the movements of any unauthorized or unscheduled vessels in the area.
“The total cost would be around Rupees 60 million and it will be commissioned in one year” said a port official.
The VTMS will also seek to prevent accidental collisions, grounding or damages to underwater structures with special reference to anchored vessels and those moving through the navigational channel.
The VTMS will also ensure the security of the Port-Based Special Economic Zones at Vallarpadam and Puthuvypeen, where vital installations such as the Single Buoy Mooring facility (SBM) and the Storage Tank Farm of BPCL-KR are situated, besides a number of maritime projects like International Container Transshipment Terminal and the LNG Terminal by Petronet LNG. (ANI)
- Vallarpadam ICTT to be commissioned in August - May 25, 2010
- PM to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal - Feb 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal tomorrow - Feb 10, 2011
- India's longest railway bridge nearing completion at Kochi - Jul 18, 2009
- Manmohan Singh to dedicate new Kerala port to nation on Feb.11 - Feb 07, 2011
- Vallarpadam container terminal to be commissioned in 2010's first quarter - Oct 10, 2009
- Gantries reach Kochi port after three-week wait - Jul 16, 2010
- Dubai World's default won't hit us: Kochi port chief - Nov 27, 2009
- PM to open container terminal in Kerala - Feb 06, 2011
- Petronet's Kochi LNG terminal to start in two months - Aug 23, 2012
- Petronet to set up gas terminal, signs deal with Cochin Port Trust - Mar 12, 2009
- Rs.750 crore sanctioned for ship repair unit in Kerala - Sep 14, 2012
- LNG facility for GM plant in Gujarat inaugurated - Sep 22, 2010
- Expedite Mumbai harbour channel widening: Centre - Feb 03, 2011
- Natural gas to power HLL Lifecare factories - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: cochin port trust, cruise terminal, economic zones, international container, kochi, lng terminal, maritime projects, navigational channel, navigational safety, sbm, single buoy mooring, storage tank, tank farm, traffic management system, traffic movement, transas, transshipment, turnkey basis, underwater structures, vessel traffic management