Coca Cola apologizes in ChinaMay 5th, 2012 - 4:21 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 5 (IANS) Coca Cola has apologized over how it acted in china after some of its products were alleged to be contaminated with chlorine, China Daily reported Saturday.
The contamination occurred in February when water containing small amounts of chlorine used to clean bottles was mixed with water and it ultimately went into the beverages.
The company angered many people after issuing a notice on its Sina Weibo micro blog April 2 offering to replace the products in question but not to provide reimbursement to those who bought them.
Of the 120,000 boxes of drinks, over 76,000 were distributed in Shanxi province.
At a news conference Friday, David G. Brooks, president of the US beverage giant’s China and South Korea branches, said products returned from those batches will be destroyed under the close supervision of the Shanxi Bureau of Quality Supervision and Inspection.
He said the company’s apology was necessary because it did not respond quickly enough to the scandal and had issued inconsistent statements as the case developed.
The general manager of the company’s Shanxi branch has stepped down, he added.
- Coca-Cola reassures product safety in China - May 01, 2012
- Coca-Cola eyes Olympic market in Russia - Sep 26, 2011
- Coca Cola plans to invest $5 billion in India by 2020 (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Coca-Cola opens $120 mn plant for 2014 Winter Olympics - Sep 26, 2011
- Chinese micro-blog launches paid membership - Jun 19, 2012
- Mexican bottler to build $140 mn plant in Brazil - Dec 07, 2011
- Coca Cola to to invest $5 billion in India by 2020 - Jun 26, 2012
- Coca Cola embroiled in 'dangerously misleading' water ad controversy - Feb 05, 2011
- Coca-Cola sales rise 20 percent in India - Jul 17, 2012
- Bottling firm to invest $1.1 bn in Colombia, Brazil - Mar 01, 2012
- Coca Cola quarterly volume in India grows 20 percent - Feb 08, 2012
- Coke to pull out of Mexican schools to promote anti-obesity drive - Jun 11, 2010
- Coca-Cola, Jain Irrigation to showcase modern mango farming in Andhra - Jul 24, 2012
- Coca-Cola enters dairy segment - Aug 17, 2010
- India, China sales boost Coca-Cola profits - Feb 10, 2010
Tags: apology, batches, beverages, blog, boxes, brooks, china beijing, china daily, chlorine, coca cola, contamination, drinks, giant, inconsistent statements, news conference, quality supervision, scandal, sina, south korea