Coal workers threaten to go on strikeMay 2nd, 2012 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) A trade union associated with the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Wednesday threatened to go on strike from July 10 against alleged irregularities in allocation of coal blocks to private firms and exploitation of coal workers.
“We will launch an agitation and go on an all-India coal strike from July 10,” Deepak Jaiswal, president of the National Front of India Trade Unions (NFITU), told reporters here.
Jaiswal said the proposed strike and agitation will have full support from the Nationalist Congress Party led by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar.
“Our strike is against the government’s move to privatise coal mines. There are huge irregularities in the allocation process and we are demanding cancellation of all the licences,” Jaiswal said.
He said the trade union had written letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal highlighting the irregularities in coal block allocation and exploitation of workers.
Jaiswal said 186 coal blocks, with an estimated coal store of 43,548.14 million tonnes, have been allocated free of cost.
“If we consider the cost per tonne to be about Rs.1,000, then its total cost will be over Rs.43 lakh crores, more than any other scandal in size,” he said.
Jaiswal alleged that the government was trying to cover up the issue.
- Facing allegations for being a Jaiswal: Coal minister - Sep 04, 2012
- Coal block allocations made by best screening committee: Jaiswal - Aug 17, 2012
- Opposition slams Narayanasamy on CAG mandate comment - Aug 18, 2012
- No coal block allocated during UPA-II regime: Jaiswal - Aug 27, 2012
- Coal auction was opposed by five states, says minister - Aug 22, 2012
- Jaiswal allocated three coal blocks in hour after becoming minister: SP - Sep 12, 2012
- Competitive bidding for coal blocks to begin soon: Minister - Jul 25, 2011
- Inter-ministerial group reviews coal block allocations - Sep 03, 2012
- We never claimed 'zero loss' in coal block allocation: Chidambaram - Aug 27, 2012
- Five firms face CBI cases, raids in coal blocks allocation (Third Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- '194 coal blocks under various stages of development' - Aug 01, 2011
- Munda seeks restoration of coal block to Jharkhand - Jul 07, 2011
- BJP hijacking parliament: Congress (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Coal block auctioning to begin in two months: Jaiswal - Jun 08, 2012
- Jaiswal refutes charges on coal block allocations - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: agitation, agriculture minister, block allocation, coal mines, coal strike, coal workers, india trade, irregularities, lakh, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationalist congress party, ncp, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private firms, rs 1, sharad pawar, tonne, trade unions