Coal India posts Rs.96 crore profit in 2008-09May 21st, 2009 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 21 (IANS) Coal India Ltd (CIL) has posted net profit of Rs.96 crore in 2008-09 against a profit of Rs.5,243 crore the year before, a top company official said here Thursday.
“The profit dropped because of the upward revision of wages for wage board employees,” CIL chairman Partha S. Bhattacharyya told reporters at a media briefing.
CIL’s profit before tax and dividend was around Rs.12,100 crore in 2008-09. But after the enhanced payoff on account of the wage revision, it dropped to around Rs.4,240 crore (provisional).
From this, the company has made an income tax payment of Rs.4,142 crore.
CIL’s total production during 2008-09 was 403.73 million tonnes, against a target of 405 million tonnes, with gross sales nearing Rs.45,700 crore - reflecting a growth of 17.54 percent over that of the previous fiscal.
“Production target for 2009-2010 has been set at 435 million tonnes,” Bhattacharyya said.
Asked about the chances of an increase in coal prices in the near term, Bhattacharyya said there was “need” for an upward revision, but declined to quantify the amount of hike or the time frame within which this can be expected.
- Nine firms in race for lifting coal from abandoned mines - Jul 28, 2009
- Coal India's net profit rises 29 percent - Nov 23, 2010
- Coal India's net profit up by 12.94 pc in FY11 - May 25, 2011
- Coal India's Q2 net profit up 74 percent - Nov 12, 2011
- CIL production up, but profit before tax declines - Oct 06, 2009
- Coal India posts 64 percent rise in net profit - Aug 13, 2011
- Coal India reports marginal net profit growth in Q1 (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Coal India's marginal net profit growth in Q1 - Aug 13, 2012
- Strike hits Coal India mines in Orissa - Oct 10, 2011
- Coal may have to be imported to meet power demand - Aug 12, 2012
- Coal India hints at price increase - Feb 03, 2009
- Coal India to get assets abroad - Sep 03, 2012
- Coal India's Q4 profit dips 5 percent - May 28, 2012
- Coal India to invest Rs.40,000 crore in 12th Plan - Sep 12, 2012
- Coal India sets production target of 464 mn tonnes (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: bhattacharyya, cil, coal india ltd, coal prices, crore profit, dividend, gross sales, income tax payment, kolkata, net profit, partha, production target, time frame, tonnes, upward revision, wage revision, wages