Coal India allocated two blocks in MozambiqueMarch 12th, 2009 - 10:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) State-run Coal India Ltd has been allocated two coal blocks in the southeast African state of Mozambique, it was announced here Thursday.
The formal intimation on the acquisition was sent by the Indian high commission in that country to Coal India recently, a government statement said.
This is the first acquisition of overseas coal blocks on bilateral basis. “This allocation has been secured in spite of stiff competition from international competitors,” the release said.
The company also got a confirmation from Mozambique’s deputy director in the ministry of mineral resources that the government had granted concessions on two blocks A-1 and A-2 in Tete province.
In 2007, a delegation from the Indian coal ministry had visited Mozambique for the first meeting of the bilateral Coal Working Group, which led to further talks and visits.
The coal ministry had drawn up a cooperation programme for wooing the Mozambique government which included additional projects that would benefit the community, as well as creation of local infrastructure.
The announcement comes two weeks after Mozambique’s Foreign Minister Oldemiro Baloi visited India.
- India to help Mozambique in coal, power sectors - Jul 06, 2010
- India plans sovereign fund to buy coal assets abroad - May 04, 2012
- Coal block auctioning to begin in two months: Jaiswal - Jun 08, 2012
- Mozambique Mineral Resource Minister calls on Sriprakash Jaiswal - Mar 29, 2011
- Coal India eyes further acquisition in Mozambique - Sep 20, 2011
- Economic ties on agenda of visiting Mozambique president - Sep 29, 2010
- 30 coal blocks start production out of 195 allocated - Aug 13, 2012
- Mozambique Foreign Minister to meet Pranab Mukherjee today - Feb 20, 2009
- PM's defence of coal blocks allocation unconvincing: Advani (Lead) - Sep 02, 2012
- India-Mozambique Joint Commission meeting today - Feb 19, 2009
- Coal India to get assets abroad - Sep 03, 2012
- No mining in any allocated coal block, says BJP - Aug 28, 2012
- Krishna heads to Mozambique, Mauritius Friday - Jul 01, 2010
- Mozambique Foreign Minister arrives in India - Feb 18, 2009
- Krishna heads to Mauritius, Mozambique (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: acquisition, baloi, bilateral basis, coal india ltd, concessions, delegation, deputy director, first meeting, foreign minister, government statement, indian high commission, international competitors, intimation, mineral resources, mozambique government, New Delhi, spite, state of mozambique, stiff competition, working group