CNG crisis triggers violent protests in Pakistan (Lead)January 2nd, 2012 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 2 (IANS) Violent protests erupted in several Pakistani cities Monday after compressed natural gas (CNG) stations were closed to protest the hike in price of the gas by the government Friday.
Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Faisalabad and Peshawar witnessed huge protests, The News reported.
In Islamabad, public transport was suspended after the CNG stations were closed. Commuters had a harrowing time as they waited for public transport, Geo TV said.
The protesters, mainly commuters, blockaded the expressway and the Faizabad flyover that connects the twin cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi. Stones were hurled at passing vehicles.
CNG stations in Punjab, Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces remained closed as part of a strike called by the All Pakistan CNG Association.
- Protests in Islamabad over closure of public transport - Jan 02, 2012
- Suicide bombing kills 34 in Peshawar funeral (Second Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Fog disrupts traffic in Pakistan - Jan 17, 2012
- Dust storm blinds Pakistan provinces - Mar 20, 2012
- 18 killed in Pakistani bus ambush (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- 5.5 magnitude quake strikes Pakistan - Aug 27, 2011
- Protests over power cuts in Pakistan - Jul 29, 2012
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- No mobile service in 15 Pakistani cities for a day - Sep 21, 2012
- Nationwide protests in Pakistan over power outages - Aug 01, 2012
- 15 killed in Pakistan bus blast (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- 13 dead, 50 hurt in Pakistan suicide blast (Second Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- 15 dead as dust storms lash Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- 22 killed, over 100 wounded in Faisalabad CNG station explosion - Mar 08, 2011
- Two dead, 14 hurt in Peshawar blast - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: balochistan, cng stations, commuters, compressed natural gas, faisalabad, flyover, geo tv, khyber, pakistan, pakistani cities, peshawar, protesters, public transport, punjab, rawalpindi, twin cities, violent protests