Cluster scheme to boost electronics manufacturing: CIIJuly 5th, 2012 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) Setting up of electronics manufacturing clusters will boost output of electronics products in India, industry lobby Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) said Thursday.
Reacting on the union cabinet’s approval to the scheme of setting up dedicated zones for manufacture of electronics products, the CII said the move would make India globally competitive in production of electronics goods.
India accounts for only about 1.5 percent of the global electronics production. Countries like China, South Korea and Taiwan dominate the global electronics markets.
The cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday approved the proposal to offer financial support for the development of the clusters in different parts of the country.
Vinod Sharma, co-chairman, CII national committee on Information, Communication Technology and Electronics (ICTE) manufacturing, said the government’s move would help boost output by removing bottlenecks in the industry.
“It would make the industry competitive, attract investments, generate employment, create additional revenue and lead to lesser dependence on imports,” Sharma said.
The cluster concept imparts certain inherent natural manufacturing advantages of agglomeration and scale, bringing together required infrastructure, skills, and supporting institutions.
“The electronics manufacturing clusters have potential advantages like increased productivity of the companies in the cluster, driving innovation, cutting down unproductive costs and reduction of costs through shared resources,” said Chandrajit Banerjee, director general, CII.
- National Manufacturing Policy will create 100 mn jobs: CII - Oct 16, 2011
- Need better standards in electronics manufacturing: CII - Sep 25, 2011
- India's industrial output drops by 1.8 percent in June (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- India, Pakistan trade can reach $10 bn by 2015: CII - Feb 09, 2012
- Dedicated zones to boost electronics manufacture - Jul 05, 2012
- Landmark manufacturing policy to boost growth, create 100 mn jobs (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Need to take measures, says Pranab on poor IIP data (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- Execution seen as key in manufacturing policy success - Oct 30, 2011
- National Manufacturing Policy gets cabinet nod - Oct 25, 2011
- Factory output dips by 1.8 percent in June (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- India Inc disappointed with RBI leaving rates unchanged - Jun 18, 2012
- FDI in retail: Walmart and corner stores can co-exist - Sep 02, 2012
- Anand Sharma to inaugurate India show in Ethiopia - May 18, 2011
- India's industrial output dips 3.5 percent in March (Roundup) - May 11, 2012
- Karnataka should create jobs than seek investments: India Inc - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: agglomeration, bottlenecks, cabinet meeting, cii, cluster concept, confederation of indian industry, electronics markets, electronics products, global electronics, increased productivity, india industry, information communication technology, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, production countries, south korea, union cabinet, vinod sharma