Close shave at Kerala airport?December 9th, 2011 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 9 (IANS) Eyewitnesses said a major air tragedy was averted at the Thiruvananthapuram international airport runway Friday when one foreign airline took off just in time to avert a crash with another flight that had landed. But the authorities dismissed the accounts saying both planes had operated on schedule.
Eyewitness reports said soon after 11 a.m. when an Emirates flight to Dubai was getting ready for take-off, a Sri Lankan Airways flight that had landed on one side of the airport was rolling towards the final stop on the runway.
“Eyewitnesses said the Emirates flight took off in the nick of the time and hence the Sri Lankan Airways flight was saved from crashing into the Emirates flight,” an official at the Thiruvananthapuram airport told IANS.
Thiruvananthapuram Airport director G. Chandramouli however said the media appeared to be misleading.
“At 11.10 a.m., the Emirates flight to Dubai with 241 people on board took off normally and at 11.11 a.m., the Sri Lankan Airlines flight with 154 people landed normally. May be those who saw this happening were taken aback and the news went around,” said Chandramouli.
“In busy airports like Mumbai, the gap between a take off and a landing is less than a minute.
“Anyway, an inquiry would be launched by the director general of civil aviation and if there is a fault, steps would be taken. If not, nothing will happen.”
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
- Mumbai airport reopened after five-hour closure for repairs - Apr 23, 2011
- Another air disaster averted in Mumbai - Jun 04, 2010
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- IndiGo launches Dubai-Hyderabad daily flight - Aug 07, 2012
- Repairs restrict use of Goa airport runway (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Super jumbo makes emergency landing at Hyderabad airport - Oct 23, 2011
- Tharoor's honeymoon trip starts with technical snag - Aug 24, 2010
- Air India flight skids off runway in Kanpur - Jul 20, 2011
- Technical snag delays Tharoor, Sunanda's honeymoon trip to Dubai, Spain - Aug 24, 2010
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- Jetlite plane makes emergency landing in Mumbai - Jul 04, 2011
- No safety norms violated in Goa: Kingfisher Airlines - Apr 13, 2011
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- RAK Airways keen to operate more flights into Kerala - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: air tragedy, airline, airlines flight, airport director, airports, authorities, civil aviation, crash, director general, dubai, emirates, eyewitness reports, eyewitnesses, gap, international airport runway, planes, sri lankan airlines, sri lankan airways, thiruvananthapuram airport