Close liquor shops on major roads: Kerala church groupSeptember 5th, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Sep 5 (IANS) The Kerala Catholic Bishop Council (KCBC) Saturday asked the state government to follow the directive of the central government to close down all liquor outlets that are located on highways and busy roads.
Studies conducted by state government agencies have found that drunken driving is the main reason for the increased rate of accidents in the state, a statement issued here by KCBC said.
“Instead of coming out with proper anti-liquor campaigns, the state government with just the single motive of increasing tax revenue through sale of liquor, is causing great harm to the society at large by giving sanction to more such shops. This has to stop immediately,” the statement added.
The statement was issued by KCBC president Archbishop Daniel Acharuparambil and other office bearers.
The Kerala State Beverages Corporation, the sole wholesaler of liquor and beer in the state saw its contribution to the state exchequer by way of taxes going up from Rs.1,163 crore (April-July 2008) to Rs.1,356 crore this fiscal.
During the ongoing 10-day Onam festival season, liquor sales Aug 31 touched an all time high over Rs.34 crore.
According to the figures provided by the state planning board, there were 27,972 accidents in 2008 in which 32,934 people got injured and 2,868 people lost their lives.
- Kerala expects Rs.200 crore liquor sales during Onam - Aug 21, 2009
- Rs.70 crore liquor sold on Onam days - Aug 30, 2012
- Alcohol worth Rs.34 crore sold in a single day in Kerala - Sep 01, 2009
- Kerala's move to open more bars opposed - Jun 19, 2011
- Kerala film stars to campaign against liquor - Jun 07, 2011
- Kerala local bodies can give licence for liquor shops - Dec 01, 2011
- Chandy asks liquor firms not to stop supplies - Aug 24, 2011
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Roaring sales of Kerala Onam lottery tickets - Aug 26, 2012
- Kerala liquor suppliers threaten supply shutdown - Jun 21, 2012
- Liquor prices to go up by 6 per cent in Kerala from Aug 1 - Jul 30, 2012
- Kerala pays out Rs.100 crore in pension, dole for Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- Rum gives Kerala a high as state coffers swell - Aug 24, 2010
- Kerala in Catch-22 situation over bar timings - Aug 27, 2012
- We're in dire straits: Kerala distilleries - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: 163, accidents, beverages, catholic bishop, central government, church group, highways, kcbc, kerala state, liquor outlets, liquor sales, liquor shops, motive, onam, rs 1, sanction, state exchequer, state government agencies, state planning board, wholesaler