Clashes over road construction at Posco site, one killedDecember 14th, 2011 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 14 (IANS) At least one person was killed and two injured at the site of the proposed Posco steel project in Odisha’s Jagatsinghpur district Wednesday when clashes broke out between villagers and workers over construction of a road, police said.
The incident erupted near Dhinkia village when hundreds of villagers opposed to Posco’s $12 billion project in the area did not allow workers to carry out the construction work.
There was an altercation that snowballed into a full-blown clash.
According to district superintendent of police S.S.D.D. Singh, protesters attacked the workers and hurled locally made crude bombs before fleeing. They also abducted two workers.
“One worker was killed. They (the project opponents) also abducted two other workers,” Singh told IANS.
However, anti-Posco leader Prasant Paikray said the people at the construction site first attacked the villagers with sticks and axes. They also hurled bombs.
“They were not villagers. They were goons,” Paikray told IANS, adding that at least seven villagers were injured, some of them critically.
The foundation stone for the 10 km coastal road was laid in August but work had stopped midway after local protests. Although the work had resumed Tuesday, authorities had to halt it again after Wednesday clashes.
While the state government says the road will improve communication, opponents say the move is intended to speed up work for the South Korean major’s project.
- Probe sought into killing near Posco project site - Dec 15, 2011
- Contractor held for Odisha violence over Posco - Dec 23, 2011
- Police hunt for contractor in Posco violence - Dec 19, 2011
- Arrest of anti-Posco leader triggers tension - Nov 27, 2011
- Anti-Posco leader released on bail in Odisha - May 18, 2012
- Odisha ex-lawmaker held for Posco violence - Dec 24, 2011
- Eight injured as anti-Posco protesters clash with cops (Lead) - May 15, 2010
- Anti-POSCO leader held - Nov 26, 2011
- Nine injured as anti-Posco protesters, cops clash (Second Lead) - May 15, 2010
- Political parties to support anti-POSCO movement - Mar 01, 2011
- Posco land takeover to resume Saturday, protest intensifies (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Jairam asks Orissa to resubmit POSCO report (Lead) - Apr 14, 2011
- Anti-POSCO protesters burn effigy of officials - Apr 15, 2011
- Anti-displacement group protests nod to POSCO - Jan 31, 2011
- Odisha shifts top official over Posco clashes - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: abducted, altercation, axes, clash, clashes, coastal road, construction site, construction work, crude bombs, district superintendent, foundation stone, opponents, posco, posco steel, protesters, protests, road construction, south korean, state government, steel project