‘Clarify timeframe on worker deployment at Sahaganj’April 10th, 2012 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 10 (IANS) The West Bengal government Tuesday said tyre-maker Dunlop India Ltd (DIL) would have to clarify the timeframe within which the company would complete the process of taking workers back at its Sahaganj unit in Hooghly district.
“Dunlop appears keen to reopen its Sahaganj unit by April 18. But it would have to clarify the timeframe on deployment of workers,” state Labour Minister Purnendu Bose told reporters after a tripartite meeting with the management, unions and labour commissioner.
Bose said the interest of workers would not be allowed to be sacrificed in reopening the tyre-making unit.
Representatives of the company told the meeting that in the first phase, it would deploy 57 workers in the maintenance department, the minister said.
“About 162 people would be engaged in the second phase and 222 in the third phase. Out of the remaining 400, some people would be given postings outside Kolkata and some would be given VRS,” he stated.
Bose said the management of the tyre maker was under pressure due to the appointment of a provisional liquidator by the Calcutta High Court.
Dunlop management said it was hopeful of resolving the issues in a conclusive way in the next meeting.
The company had earlier urged the high court to stay its earlier order of appointing a provisional liquidator as it wanted to reopen its manufacturing unit in Hooghly within a week.
The state government, a party to the litigation, also echoed the company’s views and said it was willing to extend all help to DIL in reopening the plant.
- 'Want to reopen closed Bengal unit: Dunlop India tells court' - Apr 03, 2012
- Dunlop board to discuss shut Bengal factory Oct 21 - Oct 13, 2011
- Dunlop shutdown continues as talks fail - Oct 10, 2011
- Relief undertaking to Dunlop only after it reopens: Minister - Oct 20, 2011
- Conditional offer to open Sahagunj unit in phases - Oct 21, 2011
- Dunlop suspends work at Bengal tyre factory - Oct 08, 2011
- Court appoints provisional liquidator for Dunlop India - Mar 26, 2012
- Ensure law and order for Dunlop plant to function: Ruia - Sep 10, 2011
- Will try to get Sahagunj reopened, Bengal assures Dunlop workers - Oct 17, 2011
- Dunlop to withdraw lay-off notice at Bengal plant - Apr 05, 2011
- Dunlop drops lay-off notice, asks workers to join duty - Apr 06, 2011
- Dunlop has no immediate plan to reopen Bengal plant - Jul 18, 2012
- Dunlop India appeals against liquidator's appointment - Mar 29, 2012
- Dunlop to start production from Sahaganj unit Dec 2 - Nov 24, 2009
- Ruia asked to submit Dunlop revival plan - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: appointment, bose, calcutta high court, deployment, dil, dunlop india, hooghly district, india ltd, kolkata, labour commissioner, labour minister, litigation, maintenance department, postings, provisional liquidator, second phase, state government, tyre, unit representatives, west bengal government