Citigroup to pay $285 mn to settle fraud chargesOctober 20th, 2011 - 3:23 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 20 (IANS) Citigroup has agreed to pay $285 million to settle charges for misleading investors about a $1 billion collateralized debt obligation (CDO), the US Securities and Exchange Commission said Wednesday.
Under the settlement, Citigroup was required to pay $160 million in disgorgement plus $30 million in pre-judgement interest and a $95-million penalty for a total of $285 million that would be returned to investors, the SEC said.
The SEC alleged that Citigroup Global Markets structured and marketed a CDO, which was tied to the US housing market in which Citigroup bet against investors as the housing market showed signs of distress, Xinhua reported.
The CDO defaulted within months, leaving investors with losses while Citigroup made $160 million in fees and trading profits.
“Investors were not informed that Citigroup had decided to bet against them and had helped choose the assets that would determine who won or lost,” said Robert Khuzami, director of the SEC division of enforcement.
The settlement also required remedial action by Citigroup in its review and approval of offerings of certain mortgage-related securities, the SEC added.
- SEC charges Goldman Sachs with civil fraud - Apr 16, 2010
- Civil Fraud Charges Filed: Goldman Sachs and Fabrice Tourre - Apr 17, 2010
- Goldman Sachs charged with fraud by US regulators - Apr 17, 2010
- Investors were duped by Citigroup's risky investments: Report - Dec 13, 2011
- Goldman Sachs Gears Up For Fighting SEC Allegation - Apr 21, 2010
- Citigroup earns $160 mn from reducing HDFC stake - Jun 14, 2011
- Bank Of America Settlement Announced, Home Buyers To Be Compensated - Jun 08, 2010
- Pandit's Citi reports $3.8 bn profit - Oct 18, 2011
- Emails Demonstrate That Goldman CEO Extolled Profit From Subprime Shorts - Apr 26, 2010
- Dell pays $100 mn to settle fraud allegation - Jul 23, 2010
- Spanish government prods banks to modify mortgages - Mar 11, 2012
- Amid tough times, Citibank to cut 4500 jobs - Dec 07, 2011
- US sues financial firms over mortgage losses - Sep 03, 2011
- Millionaires should pay 30 percent in taxes: Obama - Feb 22, 2012
- Satyam, PWC units to pay penalties for accounting frauds - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, 30 million, assets, bet, citigroup, citigroup global markets, collateralized debt obligation, disgorgement, fraud charges, judgement, losses, misleading investors, offerings, profits, remedial action, robert khuzami, securities and exchange, securities and exchange commission, us housing market, xinhua