Citgroup and HSBC to cut off jobsNovember 18th, 2008 - 9:57 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
The CITIGROUP Inc plans to cut about 50,000 jobs due to the economy and the gobal credit conditions caused by the US banks. It is also expected that the cuts are on top of the approximately 23,000 jobs eliminated by the second-largest US bank between January and September. This would leave Citigroup with about 300,000 jobs worldwide, down 20 per cent from the end of 2007.
The layoffs are expected from the cuts,from the sale of units. The Citigroup now plans to slash expenses 20 per cent. Shares of Citigroup fell 18 cents to US$9.34 in premarket trading.
The New York-based bank have lost more than US$20 billion last year, according to the analysts, they say the bank might not be profitable before 2010.
On Friday, shares of Citigroup fell 68 per cent this year, making the bank with a market value of only US$51.9 billion.
HSBC is also likely to lay off 500 staff in Asia,but the 90 per cent of which will be in Hong Kong, facing the same economic conditions and its cautious outlook for 2009, spokesman Gareth Hewett.
This will make HSBC’s second round of layoffs in the region. At first, in September, HSBC said it was cutting 1,100 jobs in its investment banking operation, or 4 per cent of the unit’s total, including about 100 in Hong Kong, where the bank’s Asian unit is based.
The 450 Hong Kong jobs that will be cut represent 2 per cent of the bank’s workforce in the city.
HSBC employs around 330,000 people worldwide, including about 20,000 staff in Hong Kong. The bank also denied to confirm the information which stated that it had already cut off more than 100 jobs in Hong Kong.
The major targets of the primary cut off staffs are in Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Unions protest HSBC's plan to axe 3,000 jobs in Hong Kong - Sep 08, 2011
- HSBC to cut another 25,000 jobs despite rise in profits - Aug 02, 2011
- HSBC to cut 30,000 jobs worldwide - Aug 02, 2011
- HSBC to cut 25,000 jobs by 2013 - Aug 02, 2011
- Bank of America earnings beat estimates - Apr 20, 2012
- HSBC to cut 330 jobs in Britain - Dec 06, 2011
- HSBC to axe 10,000 people - Jul 31, 2011
- U.S. government seeks names of U.S. residents with HSBC India bank accounts to avoid taxes - Apr 08, 2011
- Pandit's Citigroup reports first profitable year - Jan 18, 2011
- Amid tough times, Citibank to cut 4500 jobs - Dec 07, 2011
- Swiss bank UBS to cut 3,500 jobs - Aug 24, 2011
- HSBC axes 450 Hong Kong staff - Nov 18, 2008
- UPS to cut 1800 jobs - Jan 10, 2010
- Allahabad Bank targets 21 percent growth this fiscal - Jun 14, 2012
- US senate probe blames HSBC for money laundering - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: asia, banks, citgroup, citigroup, citigroup inc, economic conditions, economy, hewett, hong kong, hsbc, investment banking, jobs, layoffs, singapore, spokesman, staffs, targets, us bank, workforce