CII, UN body ink pact to promote credit schemesJune 4th, 2008 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 4 (IANS) The Confederation of Indian Industry-southern region (CII-SR) and UN Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) signed an agreement here Wednesday to promote credit schemes for micro and small and medium enterprises (SMEs). The SMEs in auto components, leather and footwear industries would get bank loans without collateral security under the mutual credit guarantee scheme (MCGS).
UNIDO has also opened an investment and technology promotion office (ITPO) Wednesday at CII-SR headquarters, Chennai to promote foreign direct investment in the SME sector.
Addressing a seminar organised by CII-SR and UNIDO on “Mutual Credit Guarantee Schemes - The Italian Experience - Growth through Cooperation”, Alejandro Vera, advisor of UNIDO’s office, said the core objective of the SME initiatives was to promote business through partnerships.
He said micro enterprises and SMEs can form a mutual credit guarantee agency (MCGA), which will in turn provide guarantee for bank loans availed by its members.
UNIDO is partnering with Unionfidi, an Italian mutual credit guarantee agency, to replicate Italy’s success in mutual credit guarantee schemes in India.
Explaining the Italian experience, Unionfidi general Manager Giorgio Guarena said the relationship between SMEs and the banks has to be strengthened to remove difficulties for industries to access credits.
- Crisil to target SMEs in tier II, III towns - Feb 22, 2012
- Southern states lagging in growth: CII - Jun 16, 2011
- BSE SME exchange may come up by March-end - Feb 10, 2012
- SBI to open new SME branches in Bengal - Apr 27, 2012
- Manufacturing policy is designed to create jobs: CII - Nov 13, 2011
- SBI mulls reduced interest rates for small, medium enterprises - May 29, 2012
- CII to set up leadership institute in Tamil Nadu - Jun 14, 2010
- SBI cuts interest rates for new SME loans - Apr 11, 2009
- Business confidence on the decline: CII - Oct 23, 2011
- Small and medium firms' business confidence rising: CII - Jul 25, 2010
- CII demands Rs.50 bn for Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme - Feb 16, 2010
- India's SMEs welcome 100 percent FDI in single-brand retail - Jan 27, 2012
- Banks' non-performing assets may rise: Assocham - Aug 14, 2011
- Trade between India, Japan set to rise: Envoy - Jul 10, 2011
- Ratings reduce borrowing costs of SMEs: Crisil - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: auto components, bank loans, collateral security, confederation of indian industry, core objective, credit guarantee, experience growth, footwear industries, guarantee agency, guarantee scheme, industrial development organisation, ink pact, italian experience, mcga, micro enterprises, promotion office, small and medium enterprises, sme initiatives, sme sector, technology promotion