CII to set up Centre for Excellence in KeralaJune 22nd, 2012 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 22 (IANS) The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), in association with the Kerala government, will set up a Centre of Excellence (CoE) in the state, its southern region chairman G.V.Sanjay Reddy said Friday.
Speaking to media persons after meeting with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Reddy said the Kerala government had agreed to provide all necessary infrastructure for the proposed venture.
“The CoE will basically be looking into innovation and entrepreneurship, and would be the place for interaction with industry in the state. It would promote employment, besides concentrating on research and development,” said Reddy.
The centre would initially function from rented premises, and later shift to its own campus to be constructed on three acres of land provided by the state government.
Similar centres of excellence have been very successful in promoting industry in states like Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh.
V.K.Mathews, CII’s Kerala region chairperson, said the central government had increased funding for industry R&D;, and the proposed CoE would be able to utilise the larger funding.
“This (R&D; funding) is being distributed through agencies like the CII and Kerala is going to benefit. The mantra today is to connect capital with ideas and the CoE will be fulfilling that role,” said Mathews.
The CoE would also connect with cash-rich non-resident Keralites keen to set up business units in the state and who are looking for business ideas.
- CII Kerala to play proactive role in state's growth - May 04, 2012
- God's own country to get own airline - Sep 08, 2012
- Kerala to float NRK bonds for development projects - Jun 20, 2012
- Summit to ease growth of Kerala IT/ITES industry - Jan 10, 2012
- Chandy seeks waiver for quick launch of Air Kerala - Sep 13, 2012
- 'Take up issue of stranded Keralites in Saudi Arabia' - Oct 19, 2011
- Kerala plans heritage village for diaspora - Jul 13, 2010
- Chandy to lead 'Emerging Kerala' road show in Mumbai (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- 'Kerala can become vibrant R&D; hub for different sectors' - Sep 13, 2012
- Welfare scheme for jobless Non-Resident Keralites - Jun 24, 2011
- Involve people in public-private-partnership model: Selja - Sep 13, 2012
- 'Kerala Model' proposed for growth of IT in state - Jun 09, 2011
- Debates, controversies should not hamper investment: Antony - Sep 12, 2012
- Kerala showcases opportunities to potential investors (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Tax sops for IT units setting up operations in rural areas - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, business ideas, business units, central government, centre of excellence, centres of excellence, chairperson, chief minister, coe, confederation of indian industry, gujarat, innovation and entrepreneurship, kerala government, mathews, media persons, necessary infrastructure, region chairman, sanjay, thiruvananthapuram, three acres