CII lauds capital markets reformsAugust 31st, 2011 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 31 (IANS) The recent reforms initiatives taken by the capital market regulator, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), will strengthen investors’ confidence in the Indian economy, industry lobby Confederation of Indian Industry said Wednesday.
“Exhibiting sensitivity towards the users’ need for simplification and meaningful disclosures, the initiatives will generate confidence in the domestic markets and also send the right message to the international investing community,” said CII Director General Chandrajit Banerjee.
He said the recent initiatives by SEBI would strengthen surveillance and enhance investor protection.
Referring to the recent amendments to the Takeover Code, Banerjee said the raising of the initial trigger threshold from 15 percent to 25 percent would facilitate higher levels of investment and bring in the much-needed capital.
The decision to marginally increase the minimum offer size from existing 20 percent to 26 percent of the total issued capital would ensure that the mergers and acquisitions activities in the country continue unabated.
Some concerns expressed by industry on acquisition financing have also been addressed by keeping the offer size at 26 percent, as against 100 percent recommended by an expert committee, CII official said.
CII also welcomed the permission granted by the regulator to non-banking financial companies categorised as infrastructure finance firms to issue long-term bonds to foreign institutional investors. “This will boost investment,” CII said in a statement.
- Relax investment norms for private equity funds: CII - Aug 21, 2011
- M&A; regulations need reforms: CII - Jun 19, 2011
- Need to take measures, says Pranab on poor IIP data (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- Business confidence declined: CII survey - Jan 29, 2012
- Focus on rationalising sales tax on ATF: CII - Feb 05, 2012
- Geojit to lure Arab investors to Indian bourses - Jun 21, 2012
- Rollout of uniform format of KYC norms soon, says SEBI - Dec 17, 2011
- Need clarification on Foreign Currency Regulation Act: CII - Nov 13, 2011
- India Inc welcomes assembly election results - Mar 06, 2012
- CEOs bearish on 2012 investment prospects: CII - Dec 04, 2011
- Infrastructure players await policy reforms to spur growth - Nov 23, 2011
- India unifies foreign investment policies into one document (Lead) - Mar 31, 2010
- India eases joint venture norms to draw foreign funds (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Small investors should not directly trade in equities: SEBI - May 19, 2012
- Anand Sharma to inaugurate India show in Ethiopia - May 18, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,