Chinese Holi items flood marketMarch 5th, 2012 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 5 (IANS) Delhi markets have been flooded this Holi with Chinese ‘pichkaris’ (water guns), balloons, colours and other water toys, some of which lack quality, the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham) said Monday.
According to an Assocham analysis, almost 85 percent of the Holi products available in the capital were from China.
Releasing the analysis, Assocham secretary general D.S. Rawat said: “Most of these goods lack in quality but are popular amid youngsters and are dominating the market due to their attractive, innovative designs and colours.”
‘Pichkaris’ or water guns are a popular tool for spraying coloured water on Holi revellers. Chinese revolving water guns, bazookas, spray cans and gun splashes have a huge demand, with just three days to go for Holi March 8.
Assocham representatives interacted with nearly 50 shopkeepers in wholesale markets of Sadar Bazar and Khari Baoli and retail markets of Karol Bagh, Shahdara, Rohini and Lajpat Nagar to arrive at their conclusions.
Most of the shop owners claimed that the Chinese water guns and toys were selling like hot cakes. The sales of traditional Holi accessories like steel and brass ‘pichkaris’ had gone south.
“Chinese water guns are giving a tough fight to the domestic water toys, as they are more attractive and innovative as compared to the Indian toy guns,” Ramesh Sharma, a toy seller in Lajpat Nagar market, told IANS.
The Holi colours and accessories industry is growing at a compounded rate of 20 percent every year, out of which the accessories industry is expected to reach Rs.7,500 crore this year, said Assocham.
- Demand for natural colours escalates this Holi - Mar 07, 2012
- Holi splashes Delhi with colours (Second Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Away from home, they keep us safe every Diwali (Feature) - Oct 23, 2011
- Mumbai celebrates Holi with fun, frolic and revelry - Mar 08, 2012
- 'Green toys' pull visitors to Delhi expo - Jul 01, 2012
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Mumbaikars top list of online shoppers: Assocham - Jul 03, 2011
- Holi splashes Delhi with colours - Mar 08, 2012
- Packed with pilgrims, Lord Krishna's land dances to Holi - Mar 01, 2010
- Art to rescue of Delhi's walls, flower marts - Aug 25, 2010
- This Holi, play with a splash of safety - Mar 05, 2012
- Colours of gulal, and taste of gujiya - Holi Hai! - Mar 20, 2011
- Jaipur colour manufacturers charged up for 'Holi' festival - Feb 25, 2010
- Delhi revels peacefully in Holi colours (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Delhi revels in Holi colours - Mar 01, 2010
Tags: assocham, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, chinese water, coloured water, domestic water, holi, hot cakes, industry of india, karol bagh, khari baoli, lack quality, retail markets, rohini, spray cans, toy guns, toy seller, water guns, water toys, wholesale markets