Chinese firm to complete Himachal road project by 2013March 4th, 2010 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 4 (IANS) A World Bank funded road building project undertaken by a Chinese firm in Himachal Pradesh would be completed by 2013, a minister said here Thursday.
The completion of the Theog-Kotkhai-Hatkoti-Rohru road in Shimla district is crucial for the smooth transportation of apples from the fields to the market. At present, the road is in a bad shape.
“We will try to get the work on the 80-km long Theog-Kotkhai-Hatkoti-Rohru road project being executed by Chinese firm Longjian Road and Bridge Company Ltd completed by 2013. Earlier, it was planned to be completed by 2012,” Public Works Minister Gulab Singh Thakur informed the state assembly.
He said work on the project had come to a standstill after Chinese nationals were forced to return to their country when the Indian government’s new visa policy came into effect Sept 30, 2009, under which the foreigners were not allowed to work in the country on business visas.
“Now, the Indian government has granted visas to 15 employees of the company. The company has restarted the road construction work,” Thakur said during question hour.
He said construction work on the Mehatpur-Una-Amb also has restarted. “of the 80 personnel deployed on both the projects, 15 are back on work after their visas were cleared. Efforts are being made for early completion of work.”
The Rs.354 crore contract for two roads was awarded May 27, 2008, through global bidding to the Chinese company.
- Notice to Chinese firm on Himachal road projects' delay - Jul 10, 2012
- Himachal government asked for report on road projects - May 08, 2012
- More Chinese get visas for Himachal road projects - Jan 09, 2010
- Chinese firm resumes road projects in Himachal - Dec 05, 2009
- Himachal cancels road contract with Chinese firm - Aug 29, 2012
- Himachal road repair hastened ahead of apple harvest - Jun 03, 2012
- Rains a pain for Himachal apple growers - Sep 21, 2010
- Apples pile up in Uttarakhand due to bad roads - Aug 26, 2010
- Chinese company to widen roads in Himachal Pradesh - Nov 17, 2008
- Visa clampdown on Chinese affecting Himachal projects: Chief Minister - Nov 23, 2009
- Bus rolls down Himachal gorge, 24 killed (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- Himachal wants five roads to be national highways - Sep 13, 2011
- Himachal road project incomplete after 33 years - Apr 03, 2012
- Cold conditions persist in Himachal, roads partially opened - Jan 18, 2011
- Himachal to connect all villages by roads by 2012 - Feb 17, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,