Chinese drug passes US clinical trials for first timeAugust 7th, 2010 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 7 (IANS) A traditional Chinese medicine for treating cardiovascular diseases has been tested safe and effective by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and would be marketed there by 2013, Xinhua reported Saturday.
With domestic sales of over one billion yuan (about $148 million) last year, the drug was the first Chinese patent traditional medicine to pass the phase II trials of the FDA.
The Compound Danshen Dripping Pill, composed of herbal extracts and developed by Tianjin-based Tasly Pharmaceutical, passed the phase II clinical trials in July, one step closer to getting into the US and European drug market, company’s president Yan Xijun told a press conference here.
Clinical trials of the drug were conducted in 15 test centres in the US over the last three years and had “generated positive results”, said Yan.
The FDA has also approved the drug to enter phase III trials, he said.
The phase II trials gauge effectiveness of a drug and its risks, while phase III trials are more extensive.
Once phase III is complete, a pharmaceutical company can request FDA approval for marketing the drug in the US.
Yan said Tasly would build 50 to 70 clinical trial centres worldwide in the next 12 to 18 months for phase III trials, and he expected the pills to enter global markets within three years.
The pill is mainly used to treat angina and coronary heart diseases. The company said over 10 million people worldwide have used the pill annually.
Earlier, drug watchdogs in Canada, Russia, South Korea, Vietnam, Singapore and some African countries had approved the pill.
- 'Five days after' contraceptive pill approved - Aug 14, 2010
- US approves new HIV treatment - May 21, 2011
- Drug For Treatment Of Lupus On The Verge Of Being Approved By FDA - Nov 18, 2010
- India bats for generic drugs, seeks Africa's support - Mar 18, 2012
- Novel drug eases osteoarthritis knee pain - Sep 30, 2010
- First Chinese herbal drug to enter EU market - Apr 19, 2012
- FDA Not Impressed By The First 'Female Viagra' - Jun 17, 2010
- Ranbaxy boosts presence in Africa with malaria drug - May 11, 2012
- New Morning-After Pill Awaits FDA Approval - Jun 15, 2010
- India, China making inroads in biotech drugs: NYT - Sep 19, 2011
- Green Signal To New Morning After Pill By FDA Advisory Panel - Jun 20, 2010
- FDA finds the new morning after pill safe - Jun 20, 2010
- Low-cost pain killer can wipe out resistant TB, say researchers - Sep 13, 2012
- Ranbaxy approved to make first generic version of Lipitor - Dec 01, 2011
- New drug shows dramatic results in reducing lung cancer tumours - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,