Chinese company to widen roads in Himachal PradeshNovember 17th, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 17 (IANS) Chinese road and bridge construction company Longjivan has been sanctioned a multi-million-rupee road construction project in Himachal Pradesh, the government said here Monday.The Rs.2.28-billion (Rs.228-crore) project, funded by the World Bank, involves widening and renovating the Theog-Kotkhai-Hatkoti-Rohru stretch in Shimla district.
“The aim of the state government is to strengthen the apple belt in remote areas of Shimla district,” Horticulture Minister Narender Bragta told IANS.
He said the road would be widened up to 9.4 metres by 2011, and that the contract was awarded through international bidding.
“The strengthening of the road network will help apple growers to transport their crop,” Bragta said.
The hill state has limited rail connections, no waterway and only three small domestic airports, forcing it to rely exclusively on its road network for transporting people and materials.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal last month opened a 170-km motorable road connecting Pangi Valley with Chamba town.
The World Bank has already approved a loan of $220 million for strengthening the state’s core road network.
- Himachal road repair hastened ahead of apple harvest - Jun 03, 2012
- Himachal government asked for report on road projects - May 08, 2012
- Himachal cancels road contract with Chinese firm - Aug 29, 2012
- Chinese firm to complete Himachal road project by 2013 - Mar 04, 2010
- Treat hail-caused crop loss as natural disaster, says Himachal - Jul 02, 2011
- Notice to Chinese firm on Himachal road projects' delay - Jul 10, 2012
- Bus rolls down Himachal gorge, 24 killed (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- Himachal seeks funds for apple post-harvesting facilities - May 08, 2012
- Hail punctures hopes of Himachal apple growers - May 01, 2012
- More Chinese get visas for Himachal road projects - Jan 09, 2010
- Chinese firm resumes road projects in Himachal - Dec 05, 2009
- Brace up for high apple prices as Himachal's crop yield falls - Jun 13, 2011
- Apples pile up in Uttarakhand due to bad roads - Aug 26, 2010
- Rains a pain for Himachal apple growers - Sep 21, 2010
- Himachal wants five roads to be national highways - Sep 13, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,