Chinese banks get nod to expand operations in USMay 10th, 2012 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 10 (IANS) The US Federal Reserve has announced its approval of China’s largest bank to purchase a US bank and two other large Chinese banks to expand their business in US banking market.
The Fed said in a statement that it has approved the Industrial and Commercial bank of China Limited, China’s largest bank, and two other Chinese investing firms to become bank holding companies by acquiring up to 80 percent of the voting shares of The Bank of East Asia USA, located in New York city.
The Bank of East Asia USA has total assets of approximately $780 million and operates 13 branches in New York and California, reported Xinhua.
The Fed also approved an application of the Bank of China, the third largest bank in China, to establish a branch in Chicago and an application by the Agricultural Bank of China, the fourth largest bank in China, to set up a branch in New York City.
The applications were approved after the conclusion of the fourth round of China-US Strategic and Economic Dialogue last week. The US officials were positive during the meetings about applications from China’s major banks for mergers and new branches in the US.
- China, US should promote peace in Asia-Pacific: Hu - May 03, 2012
- U.S. federal regulators close First International Bank in Texas - Oct 01, 2011
- Clinton arrives in Beijing - May 02, 2012
- Whitney Bank And Hancock Bank Will Ink A Merger - Dec 23, 2010
- China set to overtake US in diamond consumption - Feb 17, 2012
- Clinton in Beijing for strategic, economic dialogue - May 02, 2012
- Brazilian financial institution to buy US bank - Apr 26, 2011
- China expects world's 'return gesture' for opening up - Nov 29, 2011
- UAE bank opens branch in Egypt - Feb 04, 2012
- Chinese President Hu proposes four points to improve US relations - Jan 18, 2011
- China blames US for trade imbalance - May 03, 2012
- U.S. federal regulators close 5 banks in 4 states - Apr 28, 2012
- Merger of London, Toronto exchanges under review - Feb 15, 2011
- Don't bid for strategic containment of China, daily warns US - Sep 06, 2012
- 136 Chinese, 61 Indian firms on Forbes' list - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: agricultural bank of china, asia usa, assets, bank holding companies, bank in china, bank of china, bank of east asia, chinese banks, commercial bank of china, conclusion, economic dialogue, federal reserve, industrial and commercial bank of china, industrial and commercial bank of china limited, mergers, new york city, us bank, us federal reserve, xinhua