China’s Three Gorges hits full capacityOctober 31st, 2011 - 7:57 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 31 (IANS) China’s Three Gorges Dam Sunday reached its designed highest mark, the second time for the world’s largest water control and hydropower project to run at full capacity.
The water level hit 175 meters at 5 p.m. after storing water for nearly two months from the water level of 152 meters, said an official with the China Three Gorges Project Corporation (CTGPC), the developer of the project.
A dozen hydropower turbo-generator units started operation Sunday, generating power capacity of 8.2 million kw, Xinhua reported quoting the official.
The dam in central China’s Hubei province completed its first full-capacity test last October.
Operating at full capacity should give full play to the dam’s functions of generating hydroelectric power, delivering water to the lower reaches to alleviate spring droughts, and containing water from summer flooding.
The Three Gorges Project was launched in 1993 with a budget equivalent to $22.5 billion.
- Water level at Three Gorges Dam reaches full capacity - Oct 26, 2010
- China to complete Three Gorges project in five years - Feb 26, 2011
- China to build four super dams on Jinsha river - Jun 22, 2011
- Huge Chinese dam experiences big flood - Jul 24, 2012
- China to build dam in Mauritius - Oct 10, 2011
- 78,000 tonnes of garbage collected from Three Gorges Dam - Dec 12, 2010
- Chinese firm to invest in Pakistan hydel power projects - Apr 06, 2011
- 10 million people toil drought in China - May 25, 2011
- Drought hits 10 million people in China (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- China to raise water level of Three Gorges Dam - Sep 27, 2008
- Chinese officials meet Zardari on power project - Jun 04, 2011
- China diverts river water to ease drought - May 19, 2011
- Jaypee's hydro project in Himachal starts partial generation - Jun 06, 2011
- China expands its oldest n-power plant - Apr 08, 2012
- Expedite Chinese power projects: Pakistan president - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: beijing, budget, capacity test, central china, china three gorges project corporation, droughts, generating power, generator units, gorges dam, hubei province, hydroelectric power, kw, oct 31, second time, three gorges, turbo generator, water control, water level, xinhua