China’s super-rich only second to USOctober 13th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 13 (IANS) China’s super-rich have bounced back from the financial crisis, and the country now has more known dollar billionaires than any other nation except the US, a study released Tuesday said.
The annual Hurun Report said China has 130 known dollar billionaires, up from 101 last year. The number in the US is 359, while Russia has 32 and India 24, according to Forbes magazine.
China’s rich are getting richer, with the average wealth on the list $571 million, up almost one-third from last year, China Daily said citing compiler of the report Rupert Hoogewerf.
“With the greatest wealth destruction in the west of the last 70 years, we’ve seen China buck the trend and the wealth seems to be still growing,” Hoogewerf said on the sidelines of an event to unveil the 2009 rich list.
“They’ve put the credit crunch behind them,” he said. “The key driver has been urbanisation. You’ve got all these cities being built - and that requires property developers, iron and steel manufacturers. The latest thing is cars.”
Topping the list was Wang Chuanfu, chairman of electric car and battery maker BYD Co. Ltd. in which US billionaire Warren Buffett holds a stake, with an estimated personal wealth of $5.1 billion. He was also the fastest riser from last year, up 102 places.
Second place went to Zhang Yin and family; owner of paper recycler Nine Dragons Paper, while in third place was Xu Rongmao and family, owner of Shimao Property Holdings Ltd.
Huang Guangyu, who founded GOME Electrical Appliances Holdings Ltd and owns unlisted property businesses, sank to 17th place from the top position he held last year. He is currently being probed for alleged financial irregularities.
Hoogewerf said the actual number of dollar billionaires could be higher than estimated. “Either they are super-discreet, or perhaps they haven’t come to the surface,” he said.
“Having said that, the transparency of wealth… is now very much in the open. There’s many more listed companies,” he added.
According to the report, one-third of the people on the 1,000-name rich list are estimated to be members of the Communist Party of China.
Still, one famous name fell off the list this year - NBA basketball player Yao Ming, who has struggled with a foot injury for the last few months.
- Beverage giant chief becomes China's richest man - Sep 30, 2010
- China's Zhang Yin is world's richest woman - Oct 13, 2010
- 11 of the world's top 20 wealthiest self-made women are Chinese - Oct 13, 2010
- China's wealthy get wealthier - Sep 23, 2011
- 83 people on Hurun rich list have $1.5 trillion - Mar 06, 2012
- China has 189 billionaires - Oct 12, 2010
- China billionaire rich list grows to 49 more - Oct 29, 2010
- China has 960,000 millionaires and still counting... - Apr 13, 2011
- Many young Chinese billionaires built fortune from scratch - May 16, 2011
- Trial starts for China's once-richest man - Apr 23, 2010
- China's once richest tycoon gets 14 years in prison for corruption - May 18, 2010
- Shanghai - a city with 132,000 millionaires - May 13, 2011
- Car battery tycoon tops China's rich list - Nov 05, 2009
- Thai Indian entrepreneur's wealth soars by 252 percent - Sep 02, 2010
- China has over 1 mn multi-millionaires - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: billionaires, buck the trend, china daily, credit crunch, electric car, financial irregularities, forbes magazine, gome electrical appliances, holdings ltd, huang guangyu, hurun report, iron and steel, paper recycler, personal wealth, property developers, rich list, rupert hoogewerf, steel manufacturers, warren buffett, zhang yin