China’s power consumption slows downAugust 14th, 2012 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 14 (IANS) China’s power consumption growth slowed further in July, as the country’s factory activity and industrial output posted weaker growth amid the economic downturn, authorities said Tuesday.
The nation’s total electricity consumption grew only 4.5 percent from a year earlier to 455.6 billion kilo Watt hour (kWh), the National Energy Administration (NEA) said in a statement on its website.
The July data brought electricity consumption in the first seven months to 2.83 trillion kWh, up 5.4 percent year on year, easing further from the 5.5 percent seen in the first half of this year, according to the NEA data.
Power consumed by the agriculture sector dipped 0.4 percent year on year to 58.9 billion kWh, while electricity consumed by the industrial and manufacturing sector added 3.6 percent year on year to 2.1 trillion kWh, reported Xinhua.
But the service industry and residential power consumption expanded much faster than that of the agriculture and industrial sectors during the period, showed the NEA data.
Electricity consumption by the service sector increased 11.9 percent year on year to reach 319.3 billion kWh, while residential electricity use amounted to 356.9 billion kWh, up 12.5 percent from a year earlier.
In the January-July period, China added 28.92 million kilowatts in new power-generating capacity nationwide, 6 million kilowatts of which was created by hydropower projects and 17.9 million kilowatts by thermal power plants.
The weak power consumption was mainly dragged down by a surprise industrial output slowdown in July.
- China's power consumption rises - Apr 14, 2012
- China's electricity consumption goes up - Mar 14, 2012
- China's power consumption growth slows in October - Nov 15, 2011
- Bihar uses least power, Delhi the most - Aug 15, 2011
- China starts differential electricity pricing system - Jul 02, 2012
- China to face power shortage - Feb 27, 2012
- South Korea's industrial power sales go up - Nov 21, 2011
- China's 2011 GDP growth revised upward - Sep 05, 2012
- Industrial output rises by 2.4 percent in May (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Factory output rises by 2.4 percent in May - Jul 12, 2012
- India seeks US investment in power sector - Sep 20, 2011
- Earth Hour in Moscow saves 2,400 kWh - Apr 01, 2012
- Himalayas better than desert for solar power generators - Oct 15, 2011
- Factory output dips by 1.8 percent in June (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Industrial output rises in May but recovery probability low (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: agriculture sector, consumption growth, economic downturn, electricity consumption, energy administration, hydropower projects, industrial sectors, kilowatts, manufacturing sector, national energy, nea, power consumption, residential electricity, residential power, service sector, seven months, slowdown, thermal power plants, trillion, xinhua