China’s power consumption risesApril 14th, 2012 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 14 (IANS) China’s power consumption rose 7 percent year-on-year to 416 billion kilowatt hours in March, increasing 0.3 percentage points from the January-February period, the National Energy Administration (NEA) said Saturday.
For the first quarter of this year, electricity consumption added only 6.8 percent from a year ago to 1.1655 trillion kilowatt hours (KWH), as shortened working days in January due to the Chinese lunar New Year holidays cut industrial demand of energy, according to the NEA.
Compared with a year ago, the quarterly energy use growth was down 5.9 percentage points amid an economic slowdown, reported Xinhua.
China’s gross domestic product growth slowed to 8.1 percent year-on-year in the first quarter, marking the slowest quarterly expansion since the second quarter of 2009, the National Bureau of Statistics said Friday.
From January to March, electricity consumption by primary industries dipped 3 percent year-on-year to 19 billion KWH, power used by secondary industries expanded by 4.5 percent to 838.5 billion KWH, while the tertiary industries consumed 139.8 billion kWh of electricity, up 13 percent year-on-year.
Also, residential electricity consumption increased 15.5 percent from a year earlier to 168.3 billion KWH.
- China's power consumption slows down - Aug 14, 2012
- China's power consumption growth slows in October - Nov 15, 2011
- China's electricity consumption goes up - Mar 14, 2012
- Bihar uses least power, Delhi the most - Aug 15, 2011
- China to face power shortage - Feb 27, 2012
- China to face power crisis this winter - Sep 30, 2011
- Earth Hour in Moscow saves 2,400 kWh - Apr 01, 2012
- South Korea's industrial power sales go up - Nov 21, 2011
- China's industrial profit goes up in 2011 (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Listed Chinese companies see narrowing profits - Apr 23, 2012
- China's GDP growth slows to 8.1 percent (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- China starts differential electricity pricing system - Jul 02, 2012
- China's steel output up in first three quarters - Oct 22, 2011
- China back to trade surplus (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- China's Q2 GDP growth slows (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: april 14, bureau of statistics, chinese lunar new year, economic slowdown, electricity consumption, energy administration, energy use, first quarter, gross domestic product, kilowatt hours, lunar new year, national bureau of statistics, national energy, nea, new year holidays, percentage points, power consumption, residential electricity, tertiary industries, xinhua