China’s oil reserves went up 20 percent in 2011February 24th, 2012 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 24 (IANS) Chinese Ministry of Land and Resources has said the country discovered 1.37 billion tonnes of oil reserves in 2011, up 20.6 percent from a year earlier.
It is the ninth year for the country to see new oil reserves rise by over one billion tonnes since 1949, Xinhua quoted Xu Dachun, deputy head with the ministry’s mineral resource reserve department as saying in a conference Thursday.
Of the total, 1.17 billion tonnes — 85.5 percent — of oil reserves were discovered in five major oil deposits located in Ordos Basin in Inner Mongolia autonomous region, Tarim Basin and Junggar Basin in Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, as well as Bohai Bay Basin in eastern China.
Each deposit was found with reserves over 100 million tonnes, Xu said.
China has increased efforts in oil and gas exploration over past years to meet the economy’s expanding energy demand and ease its reliance on imports.
Its energy consumption increased rapidly, making it a leading energy consumer in the world.
The country also discovered more reserves of natural gas and coalbed methane (CBM), a type of natural gas that can be extracted from coal beds, last year.
New reserves of natural gas increased by 29.6 percent year-on-year to hit about 766 billion cubic metres in 2011, Xu said.
- Huge source of oil, gas found in South China Sea - Jan 17, 2011
- Putin calls for auction sales of strategic deposits - Jul 10, 2012
- Brazil oil giant's reserves' rise - Jan 13, 2012
- Latin America - Energising India (Comment) - Jun 21, 2012
- India to formulate policy to tap shale gas - Mar 11, 2011
- China to promote shale gas - Feb 13, 2012
- Brazil's oil production hits record high - Feb 03, 2012
- Petrobras finds oil signs during deepwater exploration - Oct 28, 2010
- Bangladesh discovers 137 mn barrels of oil - May 20, 2012
- Global CO2 emissions continue to soar - Jul 20, 2012
- Myanmar gas exploration contract inked - Jun 11, 2012
- South Korea to invest nearly $12 bn in oil in 2012 - Dec 21, 2011
- India to step up oil, gas imports from Africa - Dec 09, 2011
- Iraq signs gas deal with Pakistani energy firm - Jul 16, 2012
- India, Qatar sign oil pact, discuss Indians' welfare (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: bohai bay, chinese ministry, coal beds, cubic metres, deputy head, eastern china, energy consumer, energy consumption, energy demand, inner mongolia autonomous region, leading energy, methane, mineral resource, new oil, oil and gas exploration, oil deposits, oil reserves, one billion, resource reserve, xinhua