China’s GDP growth rate down 2.3 percentOctober 20th, 2008 - 12:20 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 20 (Xinhua) China’s gross domestic product (GDP) grew 9.9 percent year on year to 20.163 trillion yuan ($2.96 trillion) in the first three quarters of this year, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said Monday. The growth rate was 2.3 percentage points lower than the same period of last year, or 0.5 percentage points lower than the first half of this year.
The GDP growth was 10.6 percent for the first quarter, 10.1 percent for the second quarter and nine percent for the third quarter, the bureau said.
NBS chief economist Yao Jingyuan told reporters that the GDP growth for the January-September period was still higher than the 9.8-percent average for the past three decades.
Given the ongoing global economic slowdown, China’s GDP growth for the first three quarters “is a hard-earned achievement”, said Yao. “It was achieved on the basis of the current macro-control efforts,” he added.
The total GDP for the January-September period included 2.18 trillion yuan generated by the primary sector, up 4.5 percent, 10.11 trillion yuan by the secondary sector (including manufacturing and construction), up 10.5 percent, and 7.87 trillion yuan by the tertiary sector (mainly services), up 10.3 percent.
The growth rates for the primary sector was 0.2 percentage points higher than the year-earlier level, but that for the secondary and tertiary sectors were 3.0 percentage points and 2.4 percentage points lower respectively.
Li Xiaochao, the NBS spokesman, noted that the 9.9 percent growth was achieved on a large economic volume.
- China's 2011 GDP growth revised upward - Sep 05, 2012
- China's Q2 GDP growth slows (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- China raises 2009 growth rate to 9.1 percent - Jul 02, 2010
- China's urban fixed-asset investment up 24.9 percent - Dec 11, 2010
- China's Q1 GDP growth slows - Apr 13, 2012
- China's GDP growth slows to 8.1 percent (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Chinese economy expands 9.7 percent in first quarter of 2011 (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- Industrial profits growth slows in China - Dec 27, 2011
- China's economy up 11.1 percent in first half of 2010 - Jul 15, 2010
- China's economy grows 10.3 percent in 2010 - Jan 20, 2011
- China's retail sales up 16.3 percent in Q1 - Apr 15, 2011
- China's Q1 retail sales up - Apr 13, 2012
- China's GDP growth sees moderate slowdown (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- China's Q2 GDP growth slows - Jul 13, 2012
- China's GDP falls to two-year low - Oct 19, 2011