China to promote shale gasFebruary 13th, 2012 - 5:14 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 13 (IANS) China plans to increase efforts to explore shale gas in 2012.
This natural gas has become an important source of energy in the US over the past decade, and interest has spread to other countries with potential reserves.
Shale gas deposits are found beneath shale rocks, fine-grained sedimentary rocks.
The land and resources ministry said Sunday the government will speed up the development of the shale gas industry.
The move comes after the cabinet recently approved listing of the gas as an independent mineral resource. China has so far discovered 172 mineral resources, including shale.
The shale gas production will help ease the country’s natural gas shortage, Vice Minister of land and resources ministry Wang Min said at a geological conference.
China has a rich reserve of shale gas resource, estimated at 31 trillion cubic meters, equivalent to the total amount of conventional natural gas, Xinhua quoted Wang as saying.
If developed properly, the country’s shale gas output will exceed 100 billion cubic meters in 2020, he said.
Shale gas, a clean and high-efficiency energy resource, is produced from shale through a complicated process called hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking”.
Currently, China has no commercial shale gas production.
- Shale gas exploration policy by March 2013: Reddy - Mar 13, 2012
- India to formulate policy to tap shale gas - Mar 11, 2011
- China's oil reserves went up 20 percent in 2011 - Feb 24, 2012
- Shale gas extraction is fraught with problems - Nov 21, 2010
- China to increase mineral exploration - Feb 10, 2012
- Huge source of oil, gas found in South China Sea - Jan 17, 2011
- Beijing-Manila row over island - May 08, 2012
- Myanmar gas exploration contract inked - Jun 11, 2012
- China's to drill in South China Sea - May 07, 2012
- Iran finds new gas field - Aug 09, 2011
- Reliance Industries buys US shale assets for $1.3 bn - Jun 24, 2010
- Bolivia plans $1.73 bn in energy investments in 2011 - Dec 27, 2010
- Iraq signs gas deal with Pakistani energy firm - Jul 16, 2012
- Geological disasters killed 97 in China this year - Jul 20, 2011
- Iran finds major helium reserve - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: beijing, conventional natural gas, cubic meters, decade, energy resource, gas resource, gas shortage, geological conference, high efficiency, hydraulic fracturing, mineral resource, mineral resources, resources ministry, sedimentary rocks, shale gas, shale rocks, source of energy, trillion, vice minister, xinhua