China to check inferior food productsFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 22 (IANS) China will tighten measures to stop the production of substandard health food products, authorities said.
“With inadequate control measures many substandard products exist in the health food market,” said Tong Min, an official of the State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA).
Tong said companies that sell weight loss and blood sugar reduction products use illegal additives and exaggerate the effects of their products in advertisements.
SFDA will revise its regulations to adjust the permitted scope and usage of health food products, China Daily Wednesday quoted Tong as saying.
China has 2,054 health food production companies with an annual production value of 260 billion yuan ($41.3 billion).
- China busts counterfeit drug racket - Dec 30, 2011
- 76 officials punished over medicine scandal in China - Aug 04, 2012
- China's 2011 GDP growth revised upward - Sep 05, 2012
- No breast implant ruptures reported in China - Jan 07, 2012
- China tightens food safety measures - Feb 03, 2012
- China's Wal-Mart stores closed over pork fraud - Oct 10, 2011
- China to ensure quality food in schools - Oct 24, 2011
- China to blacklist illegal drug producers - May 31, 2012
- $77 million embezzled from Beijing-Shanghai high-speed rail project - Mar 19, 2012
- China seizes over 33,000 illegal drug ads - Apr 17, 2012
- China's Q1 retail sales up - Apr 13, 2012
- China's n-power developers seek equity investors - Jul 30, 2011
- Cinemas to be made more affordable in China - Jan 10, 2012
- Chinese retailer fined over $200,000 for duping customers - Dec 23, 2011
- China bans 15 products over heart disease concern - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: additives, advertisements, authorities, beijing, blood sugar, china daily, food and drug, food and drug administration, food production, health food market, health food products, inadequate control, measures, scope, sfda, state food, substandard products, tong, weight loss, yuan