China Telecom to sell iPhone 4SFebruary 21st, 2012 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 21 (IANS) China Telecom, the country’s third largest wireless carrier, said Tuesday that it would start selling the iPhone 4S March 9, ending China Unicom’s three-year run as the only carrier allowed to sell the device within the country.
The company will start taking pre-orders March 2, both on its official website and outlets of Suning Appliance Co., according to a statement from the company.
China Telecom said that it would spend heavily on marketing the smartphone, which is likely to weigh on profits in the short term but “enhance its long-term sustainable growth and value creation”, reported Xinhua.
The iPhone 4S is currently available in China through resellers, Apple’s online store and China Unicom — the country’s second-biggest wireless carrier, which started offering Apple Inc.’s iPhones in China in 2009.
Shares in China Telecom, also the nation’s top fixed-line operator, rose by 2.71 percent Monday, while its rival China Unicom traded flat.
- Beijing firm to launch CDMA iPhone 4S - Jan 31, 2012
- Apple eyes China expansion - Mar 27, 2012
- iPhone 5 pre-orders top record 2 million in first 24 hours - Sep 18, 2012
- iPhone 4s to go on sale in China next week - Jan 06, 2012
- iPhone 4s Pre-orders create new record - Oct 10, 2011
- Apple suspends iPhone 4S sales in Beijing, Shanghai - Jan 13, 2012
- Apple iPhone 4S pre-orders top 1 mn in 24 hours - Oct 11, 2011
- Apple working on less expensive iPhones - Feb 14, 2011
- iPhone 5 sets a 2 million sales record - Sep 18, 2012
- Apple making new iPhone for Verizon - Oct 07, 2010
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Apple doubles profit on solid iPhone sales - Apr 25, 2012
- Apple's iPhone 4S sales top four mn in three days - Oct 18, 2011
- iPhone 5 sets a 2 mn pre-booking record (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Smartphone users hit 20 mn mark in South Korea - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: apple, beijing, china telecom, china unicom, iphone, iphones, line operator, profits, resellers, rival china, s online store, smartphone, sustainable growth, value creation, wireless carrier, xinhua