China bans more milk products tainted with melamineJanuary 25th, 2010 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Jan 25 (IANS) Milk products of three dairies were banned from Chinese markets after health officials found them contaminated with melamine, a chemical which caused the deaths of six children and illness of 300,000 across the country in 2008.
Three companies have been found selling milk products tainted with melamine and their products manufactured between March and April 2009 have been ordered off shelves by the health department in Guizhou province, China Daily reported quoting local media.
Investigations have been ordered into the three batches of products manufactured by Shandong Zibo Lusaier Dairy Company Ltd, Liaoning Tieling Wuzhou Food Company Ltd and Laoting Kaida Refrigeration Plant at Tangshan, Hebei province, an official said.
The National Business Daily reported that melamine-tainted products were found and banned in Sichuan province and Jiangsu province last December.
Wang Dingmian, former chairman of the Guangdong Provincial Dairy Association, said the tainted milk products were recalled after the 2008 scandal but somehow few products made their way back into the market.
In September 2008, melamine was found in the products of 22 dairy firms across the country. The industrial chemical causes kidney stones and kidney failure among children.
“After the 2008 scandal, most tainted milk products were recalled. However, there were still some leftovers in the dealers’ hands that nobody cared about. The problems were not totally solved. From this point, it’s inevitable to see new problems popping out,” he said Sunday.
The three companies, however, attributed the melamine contamination to the milk powder used by them as raw material.
“The companies were just shirking their responsibilities. The companies should have been required to test each and every batch of milk powder they bought,” Wang said.
- China arrests 96 people for using tainted milk powder - Jan 14, 2011
- 96 arrested in China for selling adulterated milk powder - Jan 13, 2011
- Chinese police arrests six suspects, 41 others in melamine milk scandal - Aug 21, 2010
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- Cancer-causing chemical found in baby milk in China - Jul 23, 2012
- Melamine-tainted dairy product reappears in China - Nov 24, 2010
- China recalls over 170 tons of contaminated milk powder in latest crackdown - Feb 08, 2010
- Melamine tainted milk resurfaces in China - Jul 09, 2010
- Chemical used in plastics found in Taiwan-made food - Jun 02, 2011
- Chinese Milk Found Tainted With Melamine - Jul 12, 2010
- 248 Chinese officials arrested over food safety flaws in 2010 - Jan 31, 2011
- Cancer-causing chemicals found in China milk - Dec 27, 2011
- Chinese blame milk powder as baby girls develop breasts - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,