Chili loses colour, traders blame bad weatherMarch 17th, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by ANI
By Suresh Soni
Gondal (Gujarat), Mar 17 (ANI): Chili traders in Gujarat are ruing losses as this year’’s bad crop has led to reduction in exports and also the prices of chili have shot up in domestic market making it difficult for the traders to sell their produce.
Gondal, the biggest market of chilies in the state, is witnessing low arrivals as compared to last year as bad weather conditions and crop diseases have led to reduction in the chili production this year.
The prices have shot up from rupees 800 to 1100 per 20 kg last year to rupees 2500 this year.
“This year’’s production is lower than ever. The prices have gone up considerably wherein one variety of the chili is being sold at rupees 1,000 to 1,600 and other at rupees 2,000 to 2500.” said Mansukh Bhai, a trader.
The peak season for chili starts from the month of March and continues till June. Apart from sunlight, the crop requires a balanced volume of water for its growth.
With the production of red chilies reduced by 50 per cent, the demand for the chili is increasing which the farmers and traders are unable to supply.
“The production of chili has gone down by 50 per cent this year due to bad weather and diseases,” said Jayanti Bhai Dhol, President, Gondal Market Yard.
Gondal is famous for red chili across the country.
Mainly two varieties of chilies are produced in the region namely - collar and patto, of which colar is more popular in domestic market due to its bright red colour and less spice value. (ANI)
- Inadequate rainfall affects red chilli crop production in Rajkot - Mar 20, 2010
- Cheers for cherry lovers with bountiful Himachal crop - May 27, 2012
- Himachal apples hit markets - Jul 10, 2011
- Early Himachal apple varieties fetch high prices - Jul 16, 2012
- Potatoes hot property in Lahaul's cold deserts - Oct 25, 2011
- Adani to procure 22,000 tonnes apples - Aug 12, 2012
- An apple a day to hit your monthly budget - Jul 24, 2011
- Himachal apple price tumbles - Aug 19, 2012
- Himachal apple yield looks ruddy again - Jan 25, 2012
- Brace up for high apple prices as Himachal's crop yield falls - Jun 13, 2011
- Ice cream prices could soar worldwide - Apr 03, 2012
- Poor yield makes Himachal apple business fruitful - Sep 09, 2011
- Prices of Himachal apples fail to bounce back - Jul 22, 2010
- Prices of pulses to stay stable despite lower yield - Dec 22, 2011
- Himachal 'anardana' business turns juicy - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: bad weather, balanced volume, chilies, crop diseases, farmers, gujarat, losses, month of march, patto, peak season, red chili, red colour, rupees, soni, sunlight, volume of water, weather conditions