Chilean analysts see higher copper prices in 2012May 4th, 2012 - 11:58 am ICT by IANS
Santiago, May 4 (IANS/EFE) The average price of copper in 2012 will come in at $3.84 per pound, according to a score of analysts surveyed by the Chilean Copper Commission, or Cochilco.
That forecasted price is up by $0.22 relative to a November 2011 poll, the agency said in a statement Wednesday.
Copper output in Chile, the world’s leading producer of the red metal, totaled 5.6 million tonnes last year. Copper accounts for 60 percent of the total value of the South American country’s exports, which in 2011 amounted to $81.4 billion.
Cochilco’s head of studies and public policy, Maria Cristina Betancour, said experts incorporated into their forecasts “the expectation of a mild recession in the eurozone, a lower probability of a global financial crisis and a soft landing for the Chinese economy”.
China is the biggest buyer of Chilean copper.
The analysts expect the price of copper to average $3.86 per pound in the second half of 2012 before falling to an average of $3.77 per pound in 2013.
The experts, who are forecasting a downward trend over the medium and long term, predict a price of $3.05 per pound in 2017.
Cochilco said copper prices are useful in predicting various economic variables, including Chile’s gross domestic product growth, the peso exchange rate and tax revenues.
- Mexico's 2011 growth outlook improves - Dec 02, 2011
- Chile's copper exports soar - May 08, 2012
- Mexican government expects economy to grow in 2013 - Apr 12, 2012
- Mexico to auction dollars to prop up peso - Dec 01, 2011
- Argentine president inherits $6.8 mn - Aug 08, 2012
- Argentine oil firm made $3 bn investments in 2011 - Feb 09, 2012
- Chilean held for stealing ice from a glacier - Feb 01, 2012
- Mexico to invest $250 mn in disaster insurance - Mar 05, 2012
- Gap between rich and poor grows in Chile - Jul 28, 2010
- US new home sales rise - Nov 29, 2011
- Bankers revise Brazil's growth outlook downward - Dec 27, 2011
- Tens of thousands march in Chile for better schools - Aug 29, 2012
- Mexican oil firm ends 2011 with net loss of $6.5 bn - Mar 01, 2012
- US economy slowed in first quarter - Apr 28, 2012
- Debt-laden Mexican state keeps financial records secret - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: chinese economy, cochilco, copper accounts, copper output, copper prices, downward trend, economic variables, economy china, eurozone, expectation, global financial crisis, gross domestic product, maria cristina, peso exchange rate, price of copper, probability, public policy, recession, tax revenues, total value