Child sex ratio worst since Independence: Census 2011March 31st, 2011 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) The child sex ratio in the country (0-6 years) has declined to touch the lowest levels since Independence, provisional results of Census 2011 have revealed.
Registrar General of India and Census Commissioner C. Chandramauli said here that child sex ratio (0-6 years) in 2001 was 927 females per 1000 males born, which declined to 914 females per 1000 males.
“The child sex ratio at India level (914) is lowest since Independence,” he said.
Chandramauli said that although overall sex ratio has shown an improvement since 1991, the decline in child sex ratio (0-6) has been unabated since 1961 census.
Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Mizoram and Andaman and Nicobar Islands have recorded an increasing trend in the child sex ratio (0-6 years).
“In all the remaining 27 states and union territories, the child sex ratio shows decline over 2001 census,” he said.
Mizoram (971) and Meghalaya (970) are top two states in 0-6 years sex ratio while Haryana (830) and Punjab (846), despite improvement, are the bottom two states.
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- Declining sex ratio means we'll all become gays: Farooq - Apr 13, 2011
- Civil society calls for attention to declining sex ratio - Apr 01, 2011
- Falling child sex ratio is national shame: PM - Apr 21, 2011
- New advisory board on pre-natal tests to meet Wednesday - Apr 19, 2011
- Haryana records marginal rise in child sex ratio - Apr 05, 2011
- Declining child sex ratio alarms social scientists - Apr 01, 2011
- Census highlights: India home to 17.5 percent of world population - Mar 31, 2011
- President concerned over declining sex ratio - Jan 14, 2012
- Though India's worst, Haryana's sex ratio is best in 110 years - Apr 10, 2011
- Himachal tribal district has best child sex ratio - Apr 01, 2011
- Sex ratio declining in Kashmir - Mar 20, 2012
- Farooq Abdullah fears Indians will become gays due to declining sex ratio - Apr 13, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Even rich, educated abort second girl child, shows study - May 23, 2011
Tags: 6 years, andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, census, child sex, decline, females, gujarat, haryana, himachal pradesh, india level, mizoram, New Delhi, provisional results, punjab, registrar general of india, sex ratio, tamil nadu, two states, union territories